Kernels Sweep Snappers to End Regular Season
BELOIT, Wis. - The Kernels finished off a sweep of the Beloit Snappers with a 9-3 win to close out the regular season on Monday afternoon. Cedar Rapids will host Quad Cities in Game 1 of the Midwest League playoffs on Wednesday night at 6:35 p.m.
The Kernels finished the regular season with a 78-62 record.
Gabe Snyder led the offense for the Kernels on Monday. He went 2-for-5 with a three-run home run. It was his 19th of the season and the most for a Kernel since Zander Wiel also hit 19 in 2016.
Wander Javier also homered on Monday. It was his 11th of the season. Chris Williams and Seth Gray each had two hits. Spencer Steer and Javier finished with two RBI. Snyder, Williams, and Tyler Webb all scored two runs each.
Cedar Rapids scored three runs in the fifth inning and three more runs in the sixth inning to pull away.
J.T. Perez (3-2) earned the win in relief after Brian Rapp allowed one run over 3.2 innings as the starter. Perez allowed two runs (one earned) over two innings. Nate Hadley, Austin Schulfer, and Dylan Thomas kept Beloit scoreless over the final 3.1 innings.
Bryce Nightengale (1-6) took the loss, allowing five runs over 4.2 innings for the Snappers.
Game 1 of the Midwest League Quarterfinals is on Wednesday night at 6:35 p.m. as Cedar Rapids hosts Quad Cities. The River Bandits will host Game 2 on Thursday night and Game 3 on Friday, if necessary. You can listen to the action on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com, and www.kernels.com.
Fans can purchase tickets for all 2019 Cedar Rapids Kernels home games, including the playoff opener September 4 against the Quad Cities River Bandits, by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling 319-896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Dragons Burn 'Caps in Season Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Peyton Burdick wins MWL Player of the Month - Clinton LumberKings
- Regular Season Ends with Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers Drop Final Game Of 2019 Season - Beloit Snappers
- On Final Day, Cougars Clinch Western Division - Kane County Cougars
- River Bandits Close Regular Season with Offensive Explosion - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels Sweep Snappers to End Regular Season - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notch Walk-Off Win in Season Finale - Dayton Dragons
- Cubs Swipe Finale from Hot Rods 3-2 on Homers by Daniel and Davis - South Bend Cubs
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Drop Regular Season Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Fall 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Finish Season with 5-2 Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- EfraÃn Contreras Stars in Season Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Valera's Triple Boosts Captains in Regular Season Finale - Lake County Captains
- Wymer CG Completes Lugnuts' Season - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Regular Season Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 2 vs. Lansing (Game 138/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Adenhart Scholarship Deadline Approaches
- Kernels Seeking Nominations for Third Annual Kid Heroes Recognition
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closes for 4 Weeks
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closed for 4 Weeks
- 2020 NCAA DIII Baseball Championship Early Bird Tickets on Sale Now