Chiefs Finish Season with 5-2 Loss
Clinton, IA - The Peoria Chiefs tied their franchise record for least amount of wins in a season with a 5-2 loss to the Clinton LumberKings Monday afternoon to finish the season 54-85, the same record as the 1983 squad. With a 24-46 second half record, Erick Almonte's Chiefs set a new franchise record for least wins in a half, breaking the old mark of 26 wins.
Peoria hit into a double play in the first inning before taking the lead in the second. Brandon Riley singled and stole second before moving to third on a single by Imeldo Diaz. With Almonte in the first base coaches box, Diaz was picked off first base before Alexis Wilson singled to center to score Riley for a 1-0 lead. Wilson was caught stealing to leave the Chiefs with just one run on three hits.
Clinton took the lead in the third inning with a two-run homer by Thomas Jones. They added on in the fifth with Sam Castro tripled and scored on a single. An error by Edwin Figuera helped Clinton score two more in the sixth as they didn't have a hit in the inning but drew three walks and a bases loaded hit batter.
The Chiefs scored their final run of the season in the top of the ninth. Figuera singled with one out and moved to second on a groundout. Delvin Perez singled home Figuera to make the final score 5-2.
Brady Whalen finished the season with a MWL-best 81 RBI and he joins Richard Jones (2011) as the only MWL RBI Champions in team history. With a stolen base on the day the Chiefs finished the season with 70, their least ever and they also set a new team mark for least sacrifice hits with nine and least amount of triples with 19. The pitching staff set a new mark with 610 walks.
The Chiefs announced their 2020 schedule last week and will open next season in Quad Cities on Thursday, April 9. The home opener against Beloit is Monday, April 13. Game times and promotions will be announced in the off-season with news on the team Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts, plus the team website at www.peoriachiefs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Dragons Burn 'Caps in Season Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Peyton Burdick wins MWL Player of the Month - Clinton LumberKings
- Regular Season Ends with Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers Drop Final Game Of 2019 Season - Beloit Snappers
- On Final Day, Cougars Clinch Western Division - Kane County Cougars
- River Bandits Close Regular Season with Offensive Explosion - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels Sweep Snappers to End Regular Season - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notch Walk-Off Win in Season Finale - Dayton Dragons
- Cubs Swipe Finale from Hot Rods 3-2 on Homers by Daniel and Davis - South Bend Cubs
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Drop Regular Season Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Fall 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Finish Season with 5-2 Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- EfraÃn Contreras Stars in Season Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Valera's Triple Boosts Captains in Regular Season Finale - Lake County Captains
- Wymer CG Completes Lugnuts' Season - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Regular Season Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 2 vs. Lansing (Game 138/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peoria Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Single Game Tickets Go on Sale March 16
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Bobble Heads and Theme Ticket Packages
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Fireworks Dates
- Chiefs Scholarship Applications Open Until March 4
- Almonte Returns as Chiefs Manager in 2020; Gabella & Martin Join Staff