Valera's Triple Boosts Captains in Regular Season Finale
(Eastlake, OH) - The Lake County Captains (34-35, 74-63) wrapped up the regular season with a win against the Great Lakes Loons (38-31, 81-55), the team they will face in round one of the Midwest League Playoffs. Thanks to George Valera's three-run triple in the seventh and four perfect innings of relief by Zach Draper, the Captains beat the Loons on Monday at Classic Park, 6-3.
The Captains opened the scoring in the bottom of the first. Hosea Nelson and Bryan Lavastida hit back-to-back one-out singles. After a wild pitch moved the runners to second and third, Bo Naylor knocked in Nelson with a sacrifice fly to left, giving the Captains a 1-0 lead.
The Loons knotted the score in the second. Justin Yurchak singled with one out and scored two batters later when Leonel Valera hit an RBI double off of Captains starter Matt Turner. Great Lakes then grabbed a 2-1 lead in the fourth when Romer Cuadrado led off with a homer to right-centerfield.
Lake County came back to tie the score in the sixth. With reliever Kevin Malisheski on the mound for the Loons, the Captains loaded the bases with nobody out. Naylor led off with a double, Valera followed with a walk and Raynel Delgado singled. The Captains, however, only managed one run on a game-tying sacrifice fly to right by Jesse Berardi that scored Naylor from third. Lake County attempted a double steal with men on first and third, but the Captains' George Valera was thrown out at home by Loons shortstop Leonel Valera. Malisheski then struck out Daniel Schneemann to end the frame.
The Captains took the lead in the seventh. Once again, Lake County loaded the bases, this time with one out. Quentin Holmes singled and reliever Joel Inoa walked the next two men, Nelson and Lavastida. Inoa then struck out Clark Scolamiero, pinch-hitting for Naylor. Valera came up next and delivered for the Captains. He pulled a grounder into the right field corner. All three Captains runners scored and Valera raced to third with a triple to give the Captains a 5-2 lead. A passed ball brought home Valera to make it 6-2.
The Loons threatened against lefty Jake Miednik in the ninth, but Lake County held on. Dan Robinson singled with one out, Luke Heyer doubled with two outs and Valera singled in Robinson to cut the Captains' lead to 6-3. Miednik then got Brandon Lewis to ground out to Berardi at second to end the game.
Draper (9-4) retired all 12 men he faced in relief of Turner to earn the win. The southpaw reliever struck out four men over four perfect innings.
Inoa (2-3) took the loss for Great Lakes. The right-hander worked one inning, the seventh, and allowed four runs, three earned, on two hits. He struck out one and walked two.
The Captains face the Loons on Wednesday night to start the first round of the playoffs. Lake County will host game one of the best-of-three series at Classic Park. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. The Captains are making their sixth appearance in the postseason and their first since 2014.
Individual game tickets for all Captains games are on sale at the Classic Park box office, online at captainsbaseball.com and by phone at 440-954-WINS (9467). Mini ticket plans for the 2019 season are still available for great prices complete with several exclusive benefits. Information can be found at the Captains website www.captainsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Dragons Burn 'Caps in Season Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Peyton Burdick wins MWL Player of the Month - Clinton LumberKings
- Regular Season Ends with Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers Drop Final Game Of 2019 Season - Beloit Snappers
- On Final Day, Cougars Clinch Western Division - Kane County Cougars
- River Bandits Close Regular Season with Offensive Explosion - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels Sweep Snappers to End Regular Season - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notch Walk-Off Win in Season Finale - Dayton Dragons
- Cubs Swipe Finale from Hot Rods 3-2 on Homers by Daniel and Davis - South Bend Cubs
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Drop Regular Season Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Fall 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Finish Season with 5-2 Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- EfraÃn Contreras Stars in Season Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Valera's Triple Boosts Captains in Regular Season Finale - Lake County Captains
- Wymer CG Completes Lugnuts' Season - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Regular Season Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 2 vs. Lansing (Game 138/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lake County Captains Stories
- Captains Promote Jen Yorko to General Manager; John Klein and Tim O'Brien Promoted to Assistant General Manager Roles
- Free Post-Season Events at Classic Park
- Loons Eliminate Captains in Game Three
- Captains Survive, Force Game Three
- Captains Drop Playoff Opener to Loons