Regular Season Ends with Win
CLINTON, IA - The regular season came to end for the Clinton LumberKings with a 5-2 win over the Peoria Chiefs at NelsonCorp Field on Monday afternoon. Thomas Jones homered for the 10th time in the LumberKings (45-25, 78-61) win as they took the series from the Chiefs (24-46, 54-85) two games to one.
The Chiefs started the scoring in the top of the second inning - taking their only lead of the game. Three straight singles led to a tally with Alexis Wilson's hit chasing home Brandon Riley for the game's first run.
Thomas Jones put Clinton on top for good in the bottom of the third with one swing of the bat. Peoria starter Parker Kelly set down the first two batters before Chris Torres extended the inning with a single - his 100th hit of the year. Jones then lifted his 10th home run of the season to left to give the LumberKings a 2-1 lead.
From there Clinton added on. Samuel Castro scored following a one out triple in the fifth and the LumberKings added two more runs in the sixth without the benefit of a hit in the inning to run their lead to 5-1.
Kelly (3-6) was hung with the loss for his time out. He worked 4.2 innings, allowing three runs on six hits while walking one and striking out five.
Elkin Alcala (3-3) earned the win for Clinton with three innings of relief work. He allowed no runs during his time out on five hits while walking none and striking out two.
The Chiefs did not score again until the top of the ninth inning. Delvin Perez singled home a run with two out in the ninth to cap the scoring. Two pitches latter the contest on a Brady Whalen fly out to right.
The LumberKings will take tomorrow off before beginning their best-of-three game playoff series with the Kane County Cougars in Clinton on Wednesday night. Remey Reed (4-3, 3.28) takes the ball for Clinton with Peoria will tapping righty Levi Kelly (5-1, 2.15). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. (CDT). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Dragons Burn 'Caps in Season Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Peyton Burdick wins MWL Player of the Month - Clinton LumberKings
- Regular Season Ends with Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers Drop Final Game Of 2019 Season - Beloit Snappers
- On Final Day, Cougars Clinch Western Division - Kane County Cougars
- River Bandits Close Regular Season with Offensive Explosion - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels Sweep Snappers to End Regular Season - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notch Walk-Off Win in Season Finale - Dayton Dragons
- Cubs Swipe Finale from Hot Rods 3-2 on Homers by Daniel and Davis - South Bend Cubs
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Drop Regular Season Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Fall 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Finish Season with 5-2 Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- EfraÃn Contreras Stars in Season Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Valera's Triple Boosts Captains in Regular Season Finale - Lake County Captains
- Wymer CG Completes Lugnuts' Season - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Regular Season Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 2 vs. Lansing (Game 138/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.