Snappers Drop Final Game Of 2019 Season
BELOIT, WI - A close contest between the Snappers and Kernels was blown up in the 5th and 6th innings in today's Snappers' 3-9 loss. Their loss wraps up the 2019 season, and they officially head into their offseason and prepare for baseball in 2020.
The Snappers grabbed the lead first in today's game with a 1 out sac-fly in the 1st inning after Joseph Pena's triple. The Snappers would threaten many other times throughout tonight's game, but ultimately would leave 8 runners stranded and go only 1-7 with RISP.
Bryce Nightengale was scheduled to begin tonight's piggyback start on the mound, and he would work through 4.2 innings, the most he's pitched since 5.1 innings back on May 16th.
Unfortunately, Nightengale would give up 5 runs on 5 hits while striking out two batters to receive today's loss.
The Snappers would try to retaliate on offense in the 6th by grabbing a couple more runs of their own. The Snappers would lead off their 6th inning with a Devin Foyle walk. Then, Nick Osborne would reach on a single with 1 out, but he would advance to third and Devin Foyle would score on a throwing error on the play. After that, Santis Sanchez would grab Beloit's final RBI with a groundout to score Osborne from third.
The Snappers bullpen struggled as well after Nightengale's 5th inning fiasco. The 2nd half of the piggyback, Joe DeMers, would help Nightengale finish the 5th inning, but then would give up 3 runs of his own over the next 3 innings. DeMers did strike out 6 batters of the 10 outs he recorded which was still a positive. Brandon Withers would get the mound in the 9th, and would surrender a run himself while recorded 1 strikeout.
With today's game over, the Snappers have officially ended their 2019 season along with the rest of the Midwest League. The Snappers will not be participating in the 8 team playoffs that begin on Wednesday, September 4. Rather, the Snappers have earned a few days rest before preparing for their upcoming season that begins on April 9, 2020. On behalf of the Beloit Snappers, we thank you for a great 2019 season, and we look forward to more professional baseball in Beloit in 2020.
The Beloit Snappers are a member of the Midwest League and have been the Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. For more ticket information, contact the Snappers office at (608) 362-2272 or visit our website, www.snappersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Dragons Burn 'Caps in Season Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Peyton Burdick wins MWL Player of the Month - Clinton LumberKings
- Regular Season Ends with Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers Drop Final Game Of 2019 Season - Beloit Snappers
- On Final Day, Cougars Clinch Western Division - Kane County Cougars
- River Bandits Close Regular Season with Offensive Explosion - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels Sweep Snappers to End Regular Season - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notch Walk-Off Win in Season Finale - Dayton Dragons
- Cubs Swipe Finale from Hot Rods 3-2 on Homers by Daniel and Davis - South Bend Cubs
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Drop Regular Season Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Fall 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Finish Season with 5-2 Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- EfraÃn Contreras Stars in Season Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Valera's Triple Boosts Captains in Regular Season Finale - Lake County Captains
- Wymer CG Completes Lugnuts' Season - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Regular Season Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 2 vs. Lansing (Game 138/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.