Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 19, 2020
The San Jose Earthquakes earned a point in a scoreless draw against first-place Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday night at Earthquakes Stadium, after defeating the LA Galaxy 4-0 on Wednesday evening at Dignity Health Sports Park.
After Sunday's result, San Jose are now unbeaten in five of their last six matches, holding a 4-1-1 record in that span. In addition, the Quakes' defense recorded its third shutout in the last four matches and held the league's second highest scoring offense to just four shots, a season low.
The Earthquakes will now prepare to travel north to face Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Saturday, Oct. 24, presented by Valley Health Plan. Kickoff from Providence Park is set for 7:00 p.m. PT and the match will be broadcast live on NBC Sports California, KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF.
Push for the Playoffs
The Quakes now hold a 6-7-6 record in the 2020 regular season and sit above the playoff line in seventh place, just one point out of fourth place, with four matches to play.
Midfielder Cristian Espinoza has a team-high seven assists, tied for fourth most in MLS. His 20 assists since the start of the 2019 season also rank tied for fourth in MLS.
Wondolowski has scored 24 goals in his career during the month of October. No other player in MLS history has more than 14 career goals during the month.
NEXT GAME VS. VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC (10/24)
The Quakes hold a 4-0-0 record in their last four meetings with Whitecaps FC, scoring at least three goals in each of them.
Climbing the Rankings
The Earthquakes (6-7-6, 24 pts.) and Whitecaps FC (7-12-0, 21 pts.) are separated in the standings by just three points. Both clubs are above the playoff line in seventh and eighth place, respectively.
Quakes forward Chris Wondolowski has scored 14 goals in his career against Vancouver. No other player in MLS history has more than six goals against the Canadian side.
San Jose will be traveling north to face Vancouver at Providence Park, home of the Portland Timbers, due to COVID-related international restrictions.
50th MLS Appearance
Midfielder Cristian Espinoza could be making his 50th MLS appearance against Vancouver on Saturday.
LAST GAME VS. LA GALAXY (10/14)
With Nick Lima and Tommy Thompson each scoring their first goals of the season against LA, 15 different players have now scored for San Jose in 2020, the third most in a single season in Quakes history despite having played just 19 games to date.
San Jose holds a 6-2-2 record against the Galaxy in their last 10 meetings, winning this year's regular season series (2-1-1). The Quakes now hold a 3-2-0 away record in their last five matches against the SoCal side, marking the best five game run at LA in club history. The 4-0 win also marked the largest margin of victory for San Jose over LA in 74 regular season matches to date.
Defender Nick Lima scored his first and second goals of the season and sixth and seventh of his MLS career. It marked the first multi-goal game of his MLS career and he has now scored at least once in each of his four seasons as a professional. It also marked his first game-winning goal of the season and third of his MLS career.
Making an Impact
Forward Andy Rios scored his team-leading fifth goal of the season and sixth of his MLS career. Rios was also credited with an assist on Lima's first goal, marking the first assist of his MLS career.
Midfielder Carlos Fierro and forward Cade Cowell were each credited with an assist, marking their third and first of the season, respectively.
LAST GAME VS. SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC (10/18)
The Earthquakes now hold a 4-1-1 record in their last six matches and an undefeated 2-0-2 home record in their last four matches at Earthquakes Stadium.
Security in Goal
Homegrown goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski secured his third shutout of the season and fourth of his MLS career. He has now recorded a shutout in three of the last four matches and holds a 4-1-2 record in seven starts this season.
300th Start Milestone
Forward Chris Wondolowski made his 300th start for the Quakes, becoming the third player in MLS history to reach the milestone for a single club (Nick Rimando - RSL, Kyle Beckerman - RSL). He is the only player to accomplish the feat with his original MLS club.
Line of Defense
The Quakes held Sounders FC forward Jordan Morris without a single shot for just the second time in his 14 starts this season.
RENO 1868 FC UPDATE
Reno 1868 FC fell to Phoenix Rising FC 5-4 in penalty kicks after drawing 2-2 in the USL Western Conference Semifinals, marking their elimination from the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs.
Reno would score and take the lead in the first half through Corey Hertzog and Kevin Partida. Two minutes into stoppage time, Phoenix would score to make it 2-1 just before halftime. The 2-1 scoreline would hold until the 71st minute, when Solomon Asante would tie it for Phoenix.
The extra 30 minutes were not enough for either side to break through, sending the game to penalty kicks for the first time in Reno's history. Reno converted the first four shots, before a Zac Lubin save set up a game-winner for Phoenix.
A historic season for Reno comes to a close, after the club overcame a four-month suspension of play to record the top regular season point total in the league.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 19, 2020
- Anthony Fontana scores third game winning goal this season for Union - Philadelphia Union
- Revolution Fall to Philadelphia Union, 2-1 - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 19, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Hosts FC Dallas in Nationally-Televised Battle - Nashville SC
- LAFC and Banc of California to Host Week-Long 'Banc of Resources' Virtual Content Series Beginning October 19 - Los Angeles FC
- Dignity Health Sports Park Campus to Serve as An 11-Day Los Angeles County Vote Center - LA Galaxy
- MNUFC Match against Chicago Fire Rescheduled - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Away Match against Minnesota United FC Rescheduled to November 4 - Chicago Fire
- Bojan Named MLS Player of the Week - Club de Foot Montreal
- A Historic Night, Lions Clinch First Playoff Berth in Club History - Orlando City SC
- Montreal Impact Midfielder Bojan Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Whitecaps FC's Nationwide Search for the ONe Commences on November 6 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Lassi Lappalainen to Undergo Shoulder Surgery - Club de Foot Montreal
- Colorado Rapids, CRYSC Announce 2020 Recipients of the Dr. Bob Contiguglia Annual Scholarship - Colorado Rapids
- Major League Soccer Announces Steps to Combat Racism and Increase Black Representation - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 19, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Acquire International Roster Spot from Montreal Impact - Philadelphia Union
- Impact Acquires $50,000 in 2020 General Allocation Money - Club de Foot Montreal
- Sounders FC and San Jose Earthquakes Play to Gritty Stalemate in Northern California - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 1, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0 - Sunday, October 18, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Quakes hold Western Conference leaders to scoreless draw - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Draws the Portland Timbers 1-1 on Sunday at Providence Park - Los Angeles FC
- 'Caps lose late to LA Galaxy on the road - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers, Los Angeles FC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Loons Draw at Home - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Unveil 2021 First Star Kit
- Earthquakes Sign Goalkeeper Matt Bersano to New Contract
- Earthquakes Sign Argentine Defender Luciano Abecasis
- Earthquakes Sign 21-Year-Old Forward Benji Kikanovic
- Earthquakes Acquire Argentine Midfielder Eric Remedi in Trade with Atlanta United FC