Colorado Rapids, CRYSC Announce 2020 Recipients of the Dr. Bob Contiguglia Annual Scholarship
On Monday, the Rapids announced the 2020 recipients of the Dr. Bob Contiguglia Annual Scholarship.
This scholarship, created in 2018 in conjunction with Colorado Rapids Youth Soccer, covers 95% of total registration fees, uniforms, travel and more for four young, elite soccer players.
This financial aid award is named after Dr. Bob Contiguglia, who served as the president of US Soccer from 1998-2006 and is a member of the US Soccer Hall of Fame. The award is comprised of matching donations by the Rapids and CRYSC.
"We need to provide an environment for children to play sports to live a healthy life," Dr. Contiguglia said. "This scholarship provides the resources for more kids to play the great game."
We're happy to announce this year's recipients: Ezekiel Lubin, Makyla McGaughy, Liat Mercado and Ulises Rivera.
Name: Ezekiel "Zeke" Lubin
Team: 04B Elite (ECNL)
Coach's quote: "Zeke embodies what it means to be a Rapids player. Not only is he an outstanding player, a team captain, he is a great leader and has the personality and character to play the game at the next level. Zeke has shown bravery and courage in the face of some personal tragedy and has been an absolute pleasure to coach over the least 18 months." - Tom Poole
Name: Makyla McGaughy
Team: 06G Select
Coach's quote: "Makyla is a very humble young lady who is beloved by her teammates for her work rate, pace and skills on the field and her fun-loving personality off the field. I love coaching players like Makyla and watching her grow as a leader for her team" - Ria Denny
Name: Liat Mercado
Team: 09G Select
Coach's quote: "Liat is one of the biggest personalities that I have had the pleasure of coaching over the past 20 years. Liat brings energy and passion to every soccer environment that I have seen her in, and her love for the game is there for everyone to see. I look forward to coaching her every week." - Ash Hopkins
Name: Ulises Rivera
Team: 04B Elite (ECNL)
Coach's quote: "Uli is a long-term Rapids player and has served the club extremely well. Uli is quietly confident, hardworking, tenacious player, and has shown consistently his level of play and leadership is of an elite level. He is highly respected and is an integral part of the elite program. He has been a pleasure to coach over the past year or so." - Tom Poole
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 19, 2020
- Anthony Fontana scores third game winning goal this season for Union - Philadelphia Union
- Revolution Fall to Philadelphia Union, 2-1 - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 19, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Hosts FC Dallas in Nationally-Televised Battle - Nashville SC
- LAFC and Banc of California to Host Week-Long 'Banc of Resources' Virtual Content Series Beginning October 19 - Los Angeles FC
- Dignity Health Sports Park Campus to Serve as An 11-Day Los Angeles County Vote Center - LA Galaxy
- MNUFC Match against Chicago Fire Rescheduled - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Away Match against Minnesota United FC Rescheduled to November 4 - Chicago Fire
- Bojan Named MLS Player of the Week - Club de Foot Montreal
- A Historic Night, Lions Clinch First Playoff Berth in Club History - Orlando City SC
- Montreal Impact Midfielder Bojan Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Whitecaps FC's Nationwide Search for the ONe Commences on November 6 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Lassi Lappalainen to Undergo Shoulder Surgery - Club de Foot Montreal
- Colorado Rapids, CRYSC Announce 2020 Recipients of the Dr. Bob Contiguglia Annual Scholarship - Colorado Rapids
- Major League Soccer Announces Steps to Combat Racism and Increase Black Representation - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 19, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Acquire International Roster Spot from Montreal Impact - Philadelphia Union
- Impact Acquires $50,000 in 2020 General Allocation Money - Club de Foot Montreal
- Sounders FC and San Jose Earthquakes Play to Gritty Stalemate in Northern California - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 1, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0 - Sunday, October 18, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Quakes hold Western Conference leaders to scoreless draw - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Draws the Portland Timbers 1-1 on Sunday at Providence Park - Los Angeles FC
- 'Caps lose late to LA Galaxy on the road - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers, Los Angeles FC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Loons Draw at Home - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- A Versatile Team Player: What to Expect from Philip Mayaka in MLS
- Recapping the Rapids 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- Philip Mayaka's Soccer Journey from Kenya to MLS
- Rapids Look to Continue Recent Success at 2021 MLS SuperDraft on January 21
- Sam Vines Continues to Impress USMNT Coaching Staff Ahead of Olympic Qualifiers