LAFC Draws the Portland Timbers 1-1 on Sunday at Providence Park
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) battled the Portland Timbers to a 1-1 draw on Sunday night at Providence Park. LAFC Homegrown Christian Torres tallied his first professional goal in stoppage time to earn a crucial point on the road.
Both sides came out of the gates strongly, with Portland producing a number of dangerous chances as the match pressed on, but it was LAFC goalkeeper Pablo Sisniega producing four big saves to keep the match level going into the half.
As the second half commenced, it didn't take long for the top two scoring clubs in the league to produce a goal as the Timbers tallied the first of the match in the 47th minute on a strike from Jeremy Ebobisse past Sisniega.
Both teams would trade chances for the remainder of the contest, but LAFC would leave it until the final moments to get the equalizer, as 16-year-old Torres added to his season of firsts, becoming the first-ever LAFC Academy Homegrown to score an MLS goal, bringing the Black & Gold level in the 93rd to salvage the draw.
Following the draw, LAFC continues to sit in 4th place in the Western Conference with a 7-7-4 record (25 points). Next up for the Black & Gold is a fourth meeting with crosstown rival LA Galaxy at Banc of California Stadium on Sunday, October 25 (12:30 p.m. PT; ABC, ESPN LA 710, ESPN App, 980 AM).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 19, 2020
- Anthony Fontana scores third game winning goal this season for Union - Philadelphia Union
- Revolution Fall to Philadelphia Union, 2-1 - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 19, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Hosts FC Dallas in Nationally-Televised Battle - Nashville SC
- LAFC and Banc of California to Host Week-Long 'Banc of Resources' Virtual Content Series Beginning October 19 - Los Angeles FC
- Dignity Health Sports Park Campus to Serve as An 11-Day Los Angeles County Vote Center - LA Galaxy
- MNUFC Match against Chicago Fire Rescheduled - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Away Match against Minnesota United FC Rescheduled to November 4 - Chicago Fire
- Bojan Named MLS Player of the Week - Montreal Impact
- A Historic Night, Lions Clinch First Playoff Berth in Club History - Orlando City SC
- Montreal Impact Midfielder Bojan Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Whitecaps FC's Nationwide Search for the ONe Commences on November 6 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Lassi Lappalainen to Undergo Shoulder Surgery - Montreal Impact
- Colorado Rapids, CRYSC Announce 2020 Recipients of the Dr. Bob Contiguglia Annual Scholarship - Colorado Rapids
- Major League Soccer Announces Steps to Combat Racism and Increase Black Representation - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 19, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Acquire International Roster Spot from Montreal Impact - Philadelphia Union
- Impact Acquires $50,000 in 2020 General Allocation Money - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC and San Jose Earthquakes Play to Gritty Stalemate in Northern California - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 1, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0 - Sunday, October 18, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Quakes hold Western Conference leaders to scoreless draw - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Draws the Portland Timbers 1-1 on Sunday at Providence Park - Los Angeles FC
- 'Caps lose late to LA Galaxy on the road - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers, Los Angeles FC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Loons Draw at Home - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Announces Roster Moves for 2021 Season
- LAFC and Target to Host Week-Long Virtual Toy Drive from December 1 Ã¢ÂÂ December 5
- LAFC to Face Cruz Azul in Single-Leg Quarterfinal on Wednesday, December 16 at 7:30 PM PT
- LAFC Falls to the Seattle Sounders FC 3-1 in First Round of Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- LAFC Travels to Face Seattle Sounders FC Tomorrow in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs