'Caps lose late to LA Galaxy on the road
CARSON, CA - Vancouver Whitecaps FC suffered a last-minute 1-0 loss to LA Galaxy in a measured, defensive-oriented match at Dignity Health Sports Park on Sunday evening.
The 'Caps looked moments away from extending their undefeated streak to three but the late-game winner from Galaxy substitute Kai Koreniuk prevented the visiting side from moving up the Western Conference standings. With the loss, the 'Caps stay put at eighth and one spot above the playoff line as the season heads towards its final stretch.
Goalkeepers Evan Bush and Jonathan Klinsmann stood tall against a number of solid chances to keep the match scoreless for the first half. Bush was called to action early as Cristian PavÃ³n found himself in a one-one-one situation with the keeper in the opening minutes, but Bush dove at the attacking PavÃ³n to disrupt the chance and was able to get his body in front of the Argentine's follow-up shot.
On the other end of the pitch, Vancouver's early attack was mostly contained by Klinsmann and the Galaxy backline. However, a solid chance for the 'Caps came in the 19th minute as Ali Adnan hit a curling free kick from just outside the box that forced Klinsmann to dive to his left to make the save.
Mimicking the first half, the second half started with defence on both sides of the pitch as the 'Caps were able to thwart nearly every attack from the Galaxy. As the match rolled on to the end, a PavÃ³n in-swinging cross in front of Bush connected with Koreniuk as the 22-year-old finished off the match powering in a score. The 90th-minute goal sealed the victory for the Galaxy.
Whitecaps FC finish their season with four straight matches at Providence Park beginning with a date with San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. PT live on TSN and TSN Radio 1040.
ADDITIONAL NOTES: With his 12th MLS regular season start, Ranko VeselinoviÄ has been acquired by Whitecaps FC on permanent transfer from Serbian SuperLiga club FK Vojvodina and is signed through 2023... Russell Teibert made his 180th MLS regular season appearance - a club record, passing Jordan Harvey... CristiÃ¡n Gutiérrez returned to action after missing four games due to a left ankle contusion.
VWFC Man of the Match: Evan Bush
Referee: Victor Rivas
90'+1' - LA - Kai Koreniuk (Cristian PavÃ³n)
Possession: LA 45.4% - VAN 54.6%
Shots: LA 18 - VAN 7
Shots on Goal: LA 5 - VAN 5
Saves: LA 4 - VAN 4
Fouls: LA 10 - VAN 10
Offsides: LA 1 - VAN 2
Corners: LA 8 - VAN 3
45'+1' - LA - Perry Kitchen
89' â- VAN - Russell Teibert
90'+2' - LA - Carlos Harvey
33.Jonathan Klinsmann; 22.Julian Araujo, 5.Daniel Steres ©, 21.Giancarlo GonzÃ¡lez, 3.Emiliano InsÃºa; 17.Sebastian Lletget (28.Kai Koreniuk 87'), 2.Perry Kitchen, 16.Sacha Kljestan; 26.Efrain Ãlvarez (67.Carlos Harvey 78'), 11.Yony GonzÃ¡lez (14.Chicharito 50'), 10.Cristian PavÃ³n
Substitutes not used
1.David Bingham, 19.Diedie Traore, 20.Nicholas DePuy, 27.Emil Cuello, 29.Ethan Zubak, 31.Gordon Wild
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
30.Evan Bush; 28.Jake Nerwinski (14.Theo Bair 90'+2'), 4.Ranko VeselinoviÄ, 22.Ãrik Godoy, 53.Ali Adnan (3.CristiÃ¡n Gutiérrez 80'); 11.Cristian DÃ¡jome, 55.Michael Baldisimo (27.Ryan Raposo 71'), 17.Leonard Owusu, 31.Russell Teibert ©; 12.Fredy Montero, 9. Lucas Cavallini
Substitutes not used
1.Bryan Meredith, 13.Derek Cornelius, 15.Andy Rose, 32.Patrick Metcalfe, 62.Damiano Pecile, 87.Tosaint Ricketts
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 19, 2020
- Anthony Fontana scores third game winning goal this season for Union - Philadelphia Union
- Revolution Fall to Philadelphia Union, 2-1 - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 19, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Hosts FC Dallas in Nationally-Televised Battle - Nashville SC
- LAFC and Banc of California to Host Week-Long 'Banc of Resources' Virtual Content Series Beginning October 19 - Los Angeles FC
- Dignity Health Sports Park Campus to Serve as An 11-Day Los Angeles County Vote Center - LA Galaxy
- MNUFC Match against Chicago Fire Rescheduled - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Away Match against Minnesota United FC Rescheduled to November 4 - Chicago Fire
- Bojan Named MLS Player of the Week - Montreal Impact
- A Historic Night, Lions Clinch First Playoff Berth in Club History - Orlando City SC
- Montreal Impact Midfielder Bojan Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Whitecaps FC's Nationwide Search for the ONe Commences on November 6 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Lassi Lappalainen to Undergo Shoulder Surgery - Montreal Impact
- Colorado Rapids, CRYSC Announce 2020 Recipients of the Dr. Bob Contiguglia Annual Scholarship - Colorado Rapids
- Major League Soccer Announces Steps to Combat Racism and Increase Black Representation - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 19, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Acquire International Roster Spot from Montreal Impact - Philadelphia Union
- Impact Acquires $50,000 in 2020 General Allocation Money - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC and San Jose Earthquakes Play to Gritty Stalemate in Northern California - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 1, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0 - Sunday, October 18, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Quakes hold Western Conference leaders to scoreless draw - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Draws the Portland Timbers 1-1 on Sunday at Providence Park - Los Angeles FC
- 'Caps lose late to LA Galaxy on the road - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers, Los Angeles FC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Loons Draw at Home - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Announce First Roster Moves Ahead of 2021
- Whitecaps FC Confirm Top Collegiate Recruiting Class
- 'Caps finish season with dominant all-around performance
- Winners Announced at 2020 BMO Player Awards Ceremony
- It Starts with a Goal: the Stories Behind Seven Inspiring Young Canadians in the Whitecaps FC BMO Academy System