Domingo Goes Distance, Dominates 'Ducks
CURVE, Pa. - Domingo Robles fired a complete-game shutout on 95 pitches as the Altoona Curve defeated the Akron RubberDucks, 5-0, on Monday at Peoples Natural Gas Field.
The Curve (66-67, 30-35) set a new franchise record with their 17th shutout victory of the season as Robles (Win, 4-6) held the RubberDucks (60-73, 26-38) to five hits and one walk in the longest outing of his career. The previous single-season club record was 16 scoreless games pitched by the 2015 Curve.
The complete-game shutout for Robles was his second of the season following a June 8 effort in a seven-inning game for his first Double-A win, which was also versus Akron.
Robles retired the first six batters of the game and faced the minimum through three frames after a double-play grounder erased a lead-off single in the third. The left-hander then worked around two one-out singles in the fourth, picked off a lead-off base runner in the fifth and retired the final 10 batters he faced, a streak that started with the last out of the sixth. Robles worked five 1-2-3 innings, struck out five batters and became the second Curve pitcher to throw a nine-inning, complete-game shutout this season, joining Sean Brady, who tossed one this past Friday, August 23 in Bowie.
Danny Salazar started for Akron and worked a scoreless first inning on eight pitches in an MLB rehab appearance from the Cleveland Indians. Eli Morgan (Loss, 6-4) took over in the second and tossed a 1-2-3 inning on 10 pitches before the Curve helped out Robles with some run support in the third. The Curve loaded the bases with one out for Bligh Madris, who broke the scoreless tie with an RBI single that deflected off Morgan's glove and rolled to the back of the right side of the diamond. Logan Hill was up next and ripped a two-run single into left to put the Curve ahead, 3-0.
Altoona tacked on two more runs against Morgan in the sixth on a two-run single to right from Adrian Valerio. Jerrick Suiter started the frame with an infield single and Brett Pope followed with a hustle double on a soft liner served into left that set up second-and-third for the Curve. Morgan was done after the sixth as the right-hander surrendered five runs on seven hits in five innings. He struck out five and walked one.
Madris, Hill and Valerio all had two hits in the win while Hill and Valerio each drove in two runs.
The Curve and RubberDucks continue their four-game series on Tuesday at 6 p.m. Right-hander Pedro Vasquez (7-4, 2.97) gets the ball for the Curve against Akron right-hander Kyle Dowdy (0-0, 3.94).
Gates will open for fans at 5 p.m. on Tuesday. It's Two-for-Tuesday at the ballpark as fans can cash in on 2-for-1 specials on tickets, hot dogs and small popcorn, presented by Atlantic Broadband. For tickets or more information about upcoming promotions, visit AltoonaCurve.com, call 877.99.CURVE or stop by the PNG Field box office. Additionally, the Stockyard Team Store is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., during every home game and online 24/7/365.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 26, 2019
- First Place 'Wolves Fall to Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Snap Slide with Back-And-Forth Win over SeaWolves - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- R-Phils Roll One Step Closer - Reading Fightin Phils
- Seventh-Inning Rally Leads Sea Dogs Past Rumble Ponies in Series Opener - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Portland Holds on for a 3-2 Win at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Bow to Goats - Harrisburg Senators
- Goats' Dennis Rolls out Welcome 'Matt' for Senators - Hartford Yard Goats
- Four-Run Seventh Inning Sinks Fisher Cats on Monday, 5-1 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Drop Series Opener in Reading - Bowie Baysox
- Robles Masterful in Blanking RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Four-Run Seventh Lifts Yajure, Thunder to Win - Trenton Thunder
- Domingo Goes Distance, Dominates 'Ducks - Altoona Curve
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #132: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (28-39, 63-68) vs. Portland Sea Dogs (29-34, 60-74) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 26th at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Michael A. Taylor Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Harrisburg Senators
- Rony Garcia Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for August 19th-August 25th - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Altoona Curve Stories
- Free Food Giveaway at PNG Field on October 13 and 20
- Altoona Curve Hosting Fall Beer Festival on October 17
- Minor League Baseball Cancels 2020 Season
- Pirates Partner with Curve for Alternate Training Site
- Curve Set Attendance Policies, Entertainment for July 4 Fireworks