First Place 'Wolves Fall to Flying Squirrels
The SeaWolves dropped their second straight one-run contest as they lost the opening game of a four-game series against the Richmond Flying Squirrels by a 7-6 final on Monday night at UPMC Park. The loss, coupled with a Bowie loss at Reading, keeps the SeaWolves and Baysox tied atop the Western Division with seven games remaining.
The SeaWolves took the lead in the second against Richmond starter Sean Hjelle. Josh Lester singled with one out and moved into scoring position on a Kody Clemens walk. Cam Gibson singled home Lester with two outs for a 1-0 lead.
Richmond tied the game in the third against Erie starter Joey Wentz when Zach Houchins led off with a solo home run.
Erie regained the lead in the bottom of the fifth. Derek Hill led off with a double and scored on a Kade Scivicque base hit for a 2-1 advantage.
Wentz went back out for the sixth and gave up a leadoff single to Bryce Johnson. Wentz exited with one out and Trent Szkutnik came into the game in relief. Joey Bart doubled to plate the tying run. Heliot Ramos then doubled home Bart for a 3-2 Richmond lead. With two outs, Ryan Howard singled putting runners on the corners. Houchins and Gio Brusa followed with back-to-back RBI singles for a 5-2 lead.
Wentz finished with a no-decision going 5.1 innings, allowing two runs on four hits with a walk and five strikeouts.
Erie responded in the home half of the sixth against Richmond reliever Garrett Williams. Clemens led off and was hit by a pitch. Kody Eaves singled to put two on for Gibson. Gibson belted a ground-rule double that scored Clemens making it 5-3. Cole Peterson followed with an RBI groundout, scoring Eaves to make it a one-run game.
Richmond went back up by three in the top of the seventh against reliever Alex Lange. Jalen Miller and Bart both singled with one out. Ramos doubled home both baserunners to make it a 7-4 game.
The 'Wolves battled back again in the bottom of the seventh to make it a one-run game. Scivicque led off with a solo home run to left, his sixth of the year. Lester followed with a double and moved to third on a Clemens groundout. Lester scored on an Eaves groundout to make it 7-6. Erie would get no closer.
Hjelle (1-2) earned the win allowing two runs on five hits with four walks and four strikeouts in five innings.
Szkutnik (1-3) took the loss allowing three runs on five hits in 0.2 innings.
The SeaWolves and Squirrels meet in the second game of the series on Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m. LHP Jose Fernandez (1-2, 5.30 ERA) takes the mound for Erie against LHP Caleb Baragar (3-5, 3.60 ERA).
TUESDAY, AUGUST 27 - Gates open at 6 p.m. | First pitch at 7:05 p.m.
Copa de la Diversión | Erie Piñatas: Join us for the final Copa de la Diversión day at UPMC Park. Copa de la Diversión is a season-long event series celebrating Hispanic/Latino culture. The UPMC Park game day experience will be transformed with Latin music, colorful decorations, specialty food & drink items, and custom Erie Piñatas caps and jerseys to worn by the players.
Kids Eat Free: The first 250 kids, ages 12 and under, receive a voucher for a free Smith's hot dog, Utz chips and Pepsi fountain drink thanks to 94.7 BOB FM.
Two-Buck Tuesday: Fans 21 and older can enjoy $2 drink specials in the Bud Light Beer Garden through the sixth inning.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 26, 2019
- First Place 'Wolves Fall to Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Snap Slide with Back-And-Forth Win over SeaWolves - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- R-Phils Roll One Step Closer - Reading Fightin Phils
- Seventh-Inning Rally Leads Sea Dogs Past Rumble Ponies in Series Opener - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Portland Holds on for a 3-2 Win at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Bow to Goats - Harrisburg Senators
- Goats' Dennis Rolls out Welcome 'Matt' for Senators - Hartford Yard Goats
- Four-Run Seventh Inning Sinks Fisher Cats on Monday, 5-1 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Drop Series Opener in Reading - Bowie Baysox
- Robles Masterful in Blanking RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Four-Run Seventh Lifts Yajure, Thunder to Win - Trenton Thunder
- Domingo Goes Distance, Dominates 'Ducks - Altoona Curve
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #132: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (28-39, 63-68) vs. Portland Sea Dogs (29-34, 60-74) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 26th at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Michael A. Taylor Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Harrisburg Senators
- Rony Garcia Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for August 19th-August 25th - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.