Robles Masterful in Blanking RubberDucks
While Cleveland Indians right-hander Danny Salazar pitched a scoreless first inning in a rehab appearance for the Akron RubberDucks, Altoona Curve left-hander Domingo Robles (4-6) pitched a five-hit, nine-inning shutout in his team's 5-0 series-opening win for the home team at Peoples Natural Gas Field on Monday night.
The game was scoreless until the bottom of the third inning, when RubberDucks right-hander Eli Morgan (6-4) hit catcher Jason Delay with a pitch to begin the inning. Second baseman Adrian Valerio singled to right field, and Morgan walked center fielder Jared Oliva with one out. Right fielder Bligh Madris singled off Morgan's glove to drive in a run, and designated hitter Logan Hill hit a two-run single into left field for a 3-0 Altoona lead.
Making his first rehab appearance since being placed on the 10-Day MLB Injured List with a right groin strain on Aug. 2, Salazar threw eight pitches (six strikes) and had one strikeout and one hit batter in the first inning. In his first relief appearance since 2017, Morgan began the second inning. After allowing three runs in the third inning, he pitched scoreless fourth and fifth innings before yielding two runs on Valerio's sixth-inning single. Left-hander Hector Hernandez pitched a scoreless inning in his Eastern League debut, and right-hander Henry Martinez pitched a scoreless eighth inning. For Altoona, Robles only allowed one baserunner to reach second base, walked one and struck out five, throwing 95 pitches in his second home shutout of Akron. He pitched seven innings in Game 1 of a June 8 doubleheader.
In the third inning, Akron had consecutive one-out singles by third baseman Nolan Jones and designated hitter Mitch Longo, but Robles retired the next two batters and never again allowed a runner to reach scoring position. He also retired the last 10 batters of the game in order.
The Curve pitched its Eastern League-leading 17th shutout of the season, while the RubberDucks were shut out for the 12th time...Robles has pitched 16 scoreless innings against Akron in Altoona but allowed five earned runs in 2 1/3 innings at Canal Park on July 2...Altoona leads the season series, 11-4...Time of game: 2:04...Attendance: 3,333.
On the Pond
The RubberDucks continue their series in Altoona at 6:00 p.m. EDT Tuesday. Akron RHP Kyle Dowdy (0-0, 3.94) is scheduled to face Curve RHP Pedro Vasquez (7-4, 2.97). The game broadcast, powered by FirstEnergy, is on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeartRadio channel, and the TuneIn Radio App, and available on MiLB.TV. Tickets for RubberDucks home games are available at akronrubberducks.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 26, 2019
- First Place 'Wolves Fall to Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Snap Slide with Back-And-Forth Win over SeaWolves - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- R-Phils Roll One Step Closer - Reading Fightin Phils
- Seventh-Inning Rally Leads Sea Dogs Past Rumble Ponies in Series Opener - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Portland Holds on for a 3-2 Win at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Bow to Goats - Harrisburg Senators
- Goats' Dennis Rolls out Welcome 'Matt' for Senators - Hartford Yard Goats
- Four-Run Seventh Inning Sinks Fisher Cats on Monday, 5-1 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Drop Series Opener in Reading - Bowie Baysox
- Robles Masterful in Blanking RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Four-Run Seventh Lifts Yajure, Thunder to Win - Trenton Thunder
- Domingo Goes Distance, Dominates 'Ducks - Altoona Curve
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #132: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (28-39, 63-68) vs. Portland Sea Dogs (29-34, 60-74) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 26th at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Michael A. Taylor Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Harrisburg Senators
- Rony Garcia Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for August 19th-August 25th - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Safe, Socially-Distanced Watch Party for St. Vincent-St. Mary vs. Archbishop Hoban Football Game September 25
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Third "Swing for Your Swag" Event Sunday, September 20
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Second Movie Night September 18 Featuring Black Panther
- Akron RubberDucks to Host First Movie Night of 2020 at Canal Park September 5
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Women in Sports Panel September 2