Seventh-Inning Rally Leads Sea Dogs Past Rumble Ponies in Series Opener
BINGHAMTON, NY - The Binghamton Rumble Ponies fell to the Portland Sea Dogs 3-2 Monday night at NYSEG Stadium in the first game of a five-game series.
Portland (30-35, 61-74) scored two runs in the seventh inning. Charlie Madden led the inning off with a solo home run to left to tie the game at two. After a strikeout, Nick Lovullo smacked a base hit and came around to score on a Marcus Wilson two-out RBI single.
The Rumble Ponies (28-40, 63-69) had initially taken the lead on a Patrick Mazeika sacrifice fly in the fifth. It was Mazeika's 68th RBI of the season.
Each team scored one run in the second inning. Madden drove in the Sea Dogs' run on an RBI double. He finished the night 4-4 with two RBI. In Binghamton's half of the second, the Ponies loaded the bases with nobody out and tied the game when Cody Bohanek grounded into a double play.
Andres Gimenez went 3-5 with three singles and a stolen base. It was his fifth multi-hit game in the last 10.
Bryan Mata (3-6) picked up the win as he went six innings and allowed two runs on five hits with two strikeouts. Joshua Torres suffered the loss as he gave up two runs on three hits in 2.2 innings of relief. Jordan Weems secured his eighth save with a scoreless ninth.
The Rumble Ponies and Sea Dogs continue their series with a doubleheader Tuesday at NYSEG Stadium. Game one gets underway at 5:35 PM on NewsRadio 1290 AM WNBF and the Binghamton Rumble Ponies channel on TuneIn. The Horizons Federal Credit Union pregame show starts at 5:20 PM.
POSTGAME NOTES: Jacob Zanon tallied two hits for Binghamton and finished 2-4... Gimenez and Zanon accounted for the Rumble Ponies five hits on the night.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 26, 2019
- First Place 'Wolves Fall to Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Snap Slide with Back-And-Forth Win over SeaWolves - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- R-Phils Roll One Step Closer - Reading Fightin Phils
- Seventh-Inning Rally Leads Sea Dogs Past Rumble Ponies in Series Opener - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Portland Holds on for a 3-2 Win at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Bow to Goats - Harrisburg Senators
- Goats' Dennis Rolls out Welcome 'Matt' for Senators - Hartford Yard Goats
- Four-Run Seventh Inning Sinks Fisher Cats on Monday, 5-1 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Drop Series Opener in Reading - Bowie Baysox
- Robles Masterful in Blanking RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Four-Run Seventh Lifts Yajure, Thunder to Win - Trenton Thunder
- Domingo Goes Distance, Dominates 'Ducks - Altoona Curve
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #132: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (28-39, 63-68) vs. Portland Sea Dogs (29-34, 60-74) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 26th at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Michael A. Taylor Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Harrisburg Senators
- Rony Garcia Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for August 19th-August 25th - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.