Goats' Dennis Rolls out Welcome 'Matt' for Senators
HARTFORD - Matt Dennis continues to impress. The Hartford Yard Goats right-hander matched his season-high, tossing eight innings of one-run baseball to pitch the Yard Goats to a 5-1 win over the Harrisburg Senators, before a sellout crowd of 6,623 Monday night at Dunkin' Donuts Park.
The Yard Goats established a new season record in sellouts with their 48th of the season. They have three home dates left on the schedule. Hartford has also drawn 395,610 for the season, which tops the 2017 total attendance mark.
Earlier in the night Hartford (32-32) was eliminated from the playoff chase, when Reading clinched the Eastern Division with a win over Bowie.
Dennis, who improved to 5-3, retired the first six batters he faced against the first-half Western Division champions, before pitching out of a first-and-third no-out jam in the third. The Rockies' 14th round 2016 draft choice, also pitched out of jams the next three innings, before giving up doubles to Luis Garcia and Ian Sagdal in the eighth for Harrisburg's only run. Scott Griggs pitched a 1-2-3 ninth. Dennis allowed one run on seven hits, walked one and struck out five.
Hartford wasted little time giving Dennis support, when Melendez unloaded his sixth home run of the season into the upper deck against Tyler Mapes. The Yard Goats made it 3-0 in the third on an RBI-ground out by Melendez and Tyler Nevin's run-scoring single.
The Yard Goat chased Mapes with a two-out rally in the fifth. Vizcaino started things with a double, stole third and scored on a Melendez single. A single by Nevin, RBI-hit by Colton Welker and a walk to Bret Boswell sent the right-hander to the showers.
Melendez had a home run, single and three RBI to lead Hartford's 10-hit attack. Nevin added a double, single and RBI, while Vizcaino had a single, double, his 29th stolen base and two runs scored.
Mapes, who dropped to 6-7, pitched 4 2/3 innings, allowing four runs on nine hits. He walked one and struck out four. Former major league reliever Greg Holland, released earlier this season by the Arizona Diamondbacks, after recording 17 saves, pitched around an eighth inning second-and-third situation with no damage, following a double by Mylz Jones.
Hartford has won five of 13 games against Harrisburg (29-32) this season.
The five-game series continues Tuesday at 6:05 p.m. with a doubleheader. A pair of right-handers will pitch for the Yard Goats, Heath Holder and Ashton Goudeau. Mario Sanchez will start the first game for Harrisburg. The second game starter is TBA. The twin bill will be broadcast on News Radio 1410 AM, on 100.9 FM, in Spanish on 1120 AM and on the internet on newsradio1410.iheart.com.
Harrisburg 1-7-0Hartford 5-10-0
WP- Matt Dennis (5-3)
LP- Tyler Mapes (6-7)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 26, 2019
- First Place 'Wolves Fall to Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Snap Slide with Back-And-Forth Win over SeaWolves - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- R-Phils Roll One Step Closer - Reading Fightin Phils
- Seventh-Inning Rally Leads Sea Dogs Past Rumble Ponies in Series Opener - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Portland Holds on for a 3-2 Win at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Bow to Goats - Harrisburg Senators
- Goats' Dennis Rolls out Welcome 'Matt' for Senators - Hartford Yard Goats
- Four-Run Seventh Inning Sinks Fisher Cats on Monday, 5-1 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Drop Series Opener in Reading - Bowie Baysox
- Robles Masterful in Blanking RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Four-Run Seventh Lifts Yajure, Thunder to Win - Trenton Thunder
- Domingo Goes Distance, Dominates 'Ducks - Altoona Curve
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #132: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (28-39, 63-68) vs. Portland Sea Dogs (29-34, 60-74) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 26th at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Michael A. Taylor Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Harrisburg Senators
- Rony Garcia Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for August 19th-August 25th - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- "Links at the Yard" Golf Event Returns to Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Informed by Minor League Baseball That 2020 Season Is Canceled
- Team Israel to Play at Dunkin' Donuts Park this July
- Yard Goats Installing Additional Netting at Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Announce FanFest at Dunkin' Donuts Park