Four-Run Seventh Lifts Yajure, Thunder to Win
MANCHESTER, N.H. - Four hits and an error broke a 1-1 tie in the seventh inning Monday night, helping the Thunder to a 5-1 win over the New Hampshire Fisher Cats at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium.
Hoy Jun Park led off the top of the seventh for the Thunder (35-31, 73-59) with a double and scored the go-ahead run when New Hampshire first baseman Christian Williams misplayed a hard grounder by Isiah Gilliam. Brandon Wagner added an RBI-single and Kyle Holder reached on a bunt single, and after Fisher Cats (29-37, 60-73) starter Yennsy Diaz (10-9) recovered to strike out the next two batters, Angel Aguilar chased Diaz from the game with a two-run double to deep right-center.
The Thunder had managed just three baserunners against Diaz over his first six innings, including a fourth-inning RBI-single by Gilliam that produced the game's first run.
Miguel Yajure turned in a strong start for the Thunder in his Double-A debut, striking out six and walking one over five and one-third innings. The right-hander allowed six hits and left in the bottom of the sixth after a game-tying RBI-double by Chad Spanberger.
Trevor Lane (5-2) induced a flyout and a popout in relief of Yajure to strand the go-ahead run, and the left-hander went on to pitch two and two-third scoreless innings before Brady Lail struck out the side in the ninth.
Seven of nine Thunder batters recorded a hit in the game, and four players recorded two hits each.
Holder's seventh-inning bunt single extended his on-base streak to 15 games, two shy of matching his team-high mark of 17.
Your Thunder continue their road trip on Tuesday at 6:35 p.m. against the Fisher Cats. RHP Clarke Schmidt (1-0, 3.75) will start for the Thunder, and RHP Hector Perez (7-5, 4.61) will go for New Hampshire. Pregame coverage begins at 6:20 p.m. on 920 AM The Jersey or online at TrentonThunder.com/Broadcast.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 26, 2019
- First Place 'Wolves Fall to Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Snap Slide with Back-And-Forth Win over SeaWolves - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- R-Phils Roll One Step Closer - Reading Fightin Phils
- Seventh-Inning Rally Leads Sea Dogs Past Rumble Ponies in Series Opener - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Portland Holds on for a 3-2 Win at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Bow to Goats - Harrisburg Senators
- Goats' Dennis Rolls out Welcome 'Matt' for Senators - Hartford Yard Goats
- Four-Run Seventh Inning Sinks Fisher Cats on Monday, 5-1 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Drop Series Opener in Reading - Bowie Baysox
- Robles Masterful in Blanking RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Four-Run Seventh Lifts Yajure, Thunder to Win - Trenton Thunder
- Domingo Goes Distance, Dominates 'Ducks - Altoona Curve
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #132: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (28-39, 63-68) vs. Portland Sea Dogs (29-34, 60-74) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 26th at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Michael A. Taylor Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Harrisburg Senators
- Rony Garcia Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for August 19th-August 25th - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- 2020 Thunder Season Canceled Due to COVID-19
- Update from the Trenton Thunder
- Individual Tickets on Sale Thursday, Promotional Schedule Revealed for 2020 Season
- Swing into 2020 with New Entertainment Suite at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Name Revealed for 4th Generation of Thunder Bat Dog Tradition