Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for August 19th-August 25th
August 26, 2019 - Eastern League (EL) News Release
SCARBOROUGH, ME - The Eastern League is pleased to announce the winners of the Eastern League Player of the Week Award and Eastern League Pitcher of the Week Award for the period of August 19th through August 25th:
Harrisburg Senators outfielder Michael Taylor has been selected as the Eastern League Player of the Week for the period of August 19th-August 25th. The 28-year old batted .360 (9-for-25) with one double, one triple, three home runs, 10 RBIs, eight runs scored, four walks, two stolen bases, and a .840 slugging percentage in seven games for the Senators last week. Taylor, who is a native of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, reached base at least once in six of the games he played in last week and had multiple hits in three games during the week. That included homering in back-to-back games on August 21st at Akron and on August 22nd against the visiting Erie SeaWolves. The 6'4", 212 lb. slugger led all Eastern League hitters in home runs (3), RBIs (10), total bases (21), OPS (1.259), and slugging percentage (.840) last week and tied for the lead in runs scored (8). He also finished ranked among the weekly leaders in batting average (.360-tied 2nd), triples (1-tied 2nd), hits (9-tied 3rd), walks (4-tied 6th), stolen bases (2-tied 7th), and on-base percentage (.419-8th). Michael was selected by the Washington Nationals in the 6th round of the 2009 draft out of Westminster Academy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Rony Garcia, a right-handed starting pitcher for the Trenton Thunder, has been selected as the Eastern League Pitcher of the Week for the period of August 19th-August 25th. The 6'3", 200 lb. hurler started a pair of games for the Thunder last week and had a record of 1-0 with 14 strikeouts and a 0.00 ERA. Garcia, who is a native of Mao, Dominican Republic, made his first start of the week on Tuesday against the visiting New Hampshire Fisher Cats and fired five shutout innings as he took a no-decision in Trenton's 7-2 loss. He scattered two hits while striking out five batters and walking two over five innings. Rony made his second appearance of the week on Sunday at Portland and earned the win in Trenton's 5-4 victory. He gave up just two hits while striking out nine batters and walking two over five scoreless innings. The 21-year old tied for the league lead in ERA (0.00) and strikeouts (14) last week. He also finished ranked among the weekly league leaders in batting average against (.118-3rd), wins (1-tied 3rd), WHIP (0.80-6th), and innings pitched (10.0-tied 10th). Rony, who also won the Eastern League Pitcher of the Week Award earlier this season for the period of July 8th-July 14th, was signed by the New York Yankees as a free agent on July 2, 2015.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 26, 2019
- First Place 'Wolves Fall to Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Snap Slide with Back-And-Forth Win over SeaWolves - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- R-Phils Roll One Step Closer - Reading Fightin Phils
- Seventh-Inning Rally Leads Sea Dogs Past Rumble Ponies in Series Opener - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Portland Holds on for a 3-2 Win at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Bow to Goats - Harrisburg Senators
- Goats' Dennis Rolls out Welcome 'Matt' for Senators - Hartford Yard Goats
- Four-Run Seventh Inning Sinks Fisher Cats on Monday, 5-1 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Drop Series Opener in Reading - Bowie Baysox
- Robles Masterful in Blanking RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Four-Run Seventh Lifts Yajure, Thunder to Win - Trenton Thunder
- Domingo Goes Distance, Dominates 'Ducks - Altoona Curve
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #132: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (28-39, 63-68) vs. Portland Sea Dogs (29-34, 60-74) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 26th at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Michael A. Taylor Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Harrisburg Senators
- Rony Garcia Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for August 19th-August 25th - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.