Dalbec Homers for Third-Straight Game, PawSox Fall in Extras
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - The Pawtucket Red Sox (56-76) dropped an extra-inning affair for a second-straight game, falling to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (71-62) 7-4 in 10 innings on Monday night at McCoy Stadium.
RailRiders designated hitter Ryan McBroom belted a three-run, go-ahead home run in the 10th inning to propel Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to victory.
The loss marked the 25th time the PawSox have lost in the opponent's final at-bat.
The RailRiders grabbed an early lead thanks to a two-out rally in the first inning. After Breyvic Valera doubled, Kyle Higashioka brought Valera home with a two-bagger of his own to make it 1-0.
The PawSox were held without a hit and a run by RailRiders starter Nick Nelson until the fifth. Tzu-Wei Lin opened the inning with a single and advanced to second base on an error. Two batters later, Jantzen Witte bounced a single through the right side to tie the game at one.
In the bottom of the sixth, Dalbec blasted a two-run, opposite-field homer to put Pawtucket in front 3-1. Dalbec has now homered in three consecutive games and has amassed 26 home runs on the season in his time between Portland and Pawtucket.
Scranton/Wilke-Barre responded with a pair of runs in the seventh to tie the game at three.
They took a 4-3 lead in the ninth inning when Wendell Rijo came around to score on an error.
Josh Ockimey tied the game at four in the bottom of the ninth on his 24th long ball of the year, adding to his career-high for homers in a season.
PawSox lefty Kyle Hart worked six innings of one-run ball, allowing only five hits and a pair of walks. Hart has gone at least five innings in 12 of his 14 starts with Pawtucket. Over his last three starts, the 26-year-old has a 2.75 ERA over 19.2 innings and has struck out 14.
The PawSox and RailRiders continue this four-game series tomorrow at 7:05 p.m. Pawtucket right-hander Ryan Weber (1-4, 4.60 ERA) is scheduled to oppose RailRiders righty Mike King (1-1, 4.97 ERA). Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 6:35 p.m.
The homestand runs Monday-Monday (August 26th through September 2nd) against the Yankees' and Phillies' Triple-A affiliates.
Tomorrow, the PawSox will play as the popular Osos Polares de Pawtucket for the final time this season. Then on August 29 (Thursday), the PawSox will host Team Poster and Autograph Night. The first 5,000 fans entering the stadium will receive a full-color PawSox Team Poster suitable for framing. From 5-6 PM before the game, fans will also be allowed on the field for pictures and autographs with their favorite players. On August 30 (Friday), the PawSox will take the field as the Pawtucket Fightin' Quahogs in a name change that pays homage to one of Rhode Island's most famous cuisines. The PawSox will wear caps and jerseys featuring the Fightin' Quahogs logo for the second game of that Friday doubleheader. On August 31 (Saturday), fans can enjoy post-game fireworks set to music from Motown. On September 1 (Sunday), fans can play catch on the field and then run the bases post-game on a Sunday FunDay.
During the homestretch, the PawSox will admit for free children 16 and under. They'll also let "kids run the show" at each game. Parents also have the option to partake of a new "End of Summer Family Bargain" in which they each receive a General Admission ticket, $2 in loaded value (good for food, beverage, or merchandise), and a PawSox cap, all for $12 (a $26 value).
Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 26, 2019
- Mets Sweep Doubleheader against IronPigs to Claim Share of First Place - Syracuse Mets
- Stripers Allow Season-High 17 Runs in Loss to Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs drop two in Syracuse - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Teams trade runs in the ninth before McBroom's blast in extras give RailRiders the win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Davis Spectacular Again as Bisons Hold on to 5-4 Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Dalbec Homers for Third-Straight Game, PawSox Fall in Extras - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Rally Falls Short in 5-4 Loss Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Wild-Card Leading Knights Drop Monday's Opener to Bulls 7-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Indians Commit Four Errors, Hit into Five Double Plays in Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Boasts Great Overall Effort in 9-0 Win - Louisville Bats
- Toledo Takes Game One in Indy - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Notes: Columbus Clippers (76-56) at Louisville Bats (54-78) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (64-68) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (62-70) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Corey Oswalt Named IL Pitcher of the Week for the Second Time this Season - Syracuse Mets
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
- Hayes Honored as IL Player of the Week - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Announce Final Four Flash Sale - Rochester Red Wings
- Free Governors' Cup Playoff Tickets Return for 2019 at Huntington Park - Columbus Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.