D.C. United Acquire MLS Veteran Forward Quincy Amarikwa
D.C. United have acquired MLS veteran forward, Quincy Amarikwa, as a free agent.
"We are excited to add Quincy to the roster ahead of the 2019 season," Dave Kasper, United General Manager and VP of Soccer Operations, said. "He has over 10 years of MLS experience and is going to be a valuable attacking option for us this season. We're looking forward to adding that experience and depth to our roster ahead of our March 3 season opener."
In 2018, Amarikwa spent the season with the San Jose Earthquakes and the Montreal Impact, scoring one goal and recording two assists in 24 appearances. Amarikwa scored nine goals and recorded nine assists in 63 MLS Regular Season appearances for the Earthquakes before the Montreal Impact acquired him midway through the 2018 season on Aug. 8. The 31-year-old featured in all of the Impact's final 10 matches, scoring one goal in 644 minutes.
Amarikwa started his MLS career in 2009 when he was drafted 32nd overall by the San Jose Earthquakes. He spent the better part of two seasons with the Earthquakes before departing to join the Colorado Rapids midway through the 2010 season. He stayed with Colorado until the 2012 season and was traded to Toronto FC that same year. Amarikwa signed with the Chicago Fire before the start of the 2013 MLS season and spent three more seasons with the club before rejoining the San Jose Earthquakes in the 2015 MLS season.
Amarikwa has scored 25 goals and recorded 19 assists in 200 MLS appearances (98 starts). His most prolific season occurred in 2014 for the Chicago Fire when he scored eight goals and recorded five assists in 32 games (29 starts). The MLS veteran has appeared in the playoffs in three seasons (2010, 2011, 2017); making three appearances (62 minutes).
The forward spent four seasons at the University of California, Davis, scoring 31 goals in 75 appearances from 2006-2008.
Player: Quincy Amarikwa
Birthplace: Bakersfield, Calif.
Previous Club: Montreal Impact
Transaction: D.C. United acquire Quincy Amarikwa as a free agent.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 1, 2019
- Impact Opens Season against the San Jose Earthquakes Saturday Night - Club de Foot Montreal
- LA Galaxy Exercise Offseason Buyout on Giovani dos Santos - LA Galaxy
- MSG Networks Announces 2019 New York Red Bulls Telecast Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Place ShkÃ«lzen Gashi on Waivers - Colorado Rapids
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. FC Cincinnati - March 2, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City SC Signs 2019 MLS SuperDraft Pick Kamal Miller - Orlando City SC
- MLS Issues Disciplinary Committee Decisions - MLS
- Eight Players from Impact U17 with Team Canada - Club de Foot Montreal
- Preview: Sporting Opens MLS Season Sunday at LAFC - Sporting Kansas City
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- #MLSIsBack=21 Here Are 5 Things You Need to Know About #FCDvNE - FC Dallas
- Jose Hernandez and Patrick Okonkwo Loaned to ATL UTD 2 - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquire MLS Veteran Forward Quincy Amarikwa - D.C. United
- Tuesday's Friendly against UC Canceled - FC Cincinnati
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at FC Dallas - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Announces English Radio Partnership with 97.1 the Fan and the Return of Crew SC's Spanish Audio Stream - Columbus Crew SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Vancouver Whitecaps Game Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Match Preview: New York Begins 2019 MLS Slate at Columbus - New York Red Bulls
- MLS and ESPN Announce Partnership to Broadcast Live Games to Latin America and the Caribbean - MLS
- MNUFC Announces Roster for 2019 Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- Rapids Acquire $50,000 in TAM in 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Julian Araujo - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Introduces Ticketmaster as Club's Official Ticketing Partner - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United Signs SuperDraft Selection Anderson Asiedu - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Opens 2019 Season Saturday at Houston Dynamo - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting Rolls to 2-0 Champions League Win at Toluca - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Acquire Goalkeeper Jon Kempin from Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United Acquire Forward Adrien Perez
- Paul Arriola Selected for the First USMNT Camp of 2021
- D.C. United Appoint Danita Johnson as President of Business Operations
- D.C. United Re-Sign Goalkeeper Chris Seitz Through 2021