Atlanta United Signs SuperDraft Selection Anderson Asiedu
ATLANTA - Atlanta United announced today it has signed Anderson Asiedu. The midfielder was selected with the No. 24 overall pick of the 2019 MLS SuperDraft and will be added to the club's roster pending the receipt of his P-1 Visa.
"After a good college career, we targeted Anderson in the SuperDraft as a midfielder who could immediately compete at a high level," said Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra. "He's proven that during preseason and he's earned a spot on our roster."
Asiedu, 22, is a native of Dormaa Ahenkro, Ghana and played collegiately at the University of California, Los Angeles and Monmouth University. He was a two-time All-Pac 12 Conference player and totaled four assists and three goals in two seasons with UCLA. Following his senior season, Asiedu was invited to the 2019 MLS Combine in Orlando, Florida where he was named MVP. Before transferring to UCLA, he was named All-MAAC in his two seasons with Monmouth where he recorded five assists and two goals. Asiedu moved to the United States in 2013 and attended St. Benedict's Prep in Newark, New Jersey where he won the 2014 National Championship.
Atlanta United will open its 2019 MLS Regular Season on the road against D.C. United on Sunday, March 3 (6 p.m./ESPN).
Birthdate: June 12, 1996
Birthplace: Dormaa Ahenkro, Ghana
Transaction: Signed with Atlanta United on March 1, 2019
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 1, 2019
- Impact Opens Season against the San Jose Earthquakes Saturday Night - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Exercise Offseason Buyout on Giovani dos Santos - LA Galaxy
- MSG Networks Announces 2019 New York Red Bulls Telecast Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Place ShkÃ«lzen Gashi on Waivers - Colorado Rapids
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. FC Cincinnati - March 2, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City SC Signs 2019 MLS SuperDraft Pick Kamal Miller - Orlando City SC
- MLS Issues Disciplinary Committee Decisions - MLS
- Eight Players from Impact U17 with Team Canada - Montreal Impact
- Preview: Sporting Opens MLS Season Sunday at LAFC - Sporting Kansas City
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- #MLSIsBack=21 Here Are 5 Things You Need to Know About #FCDvNE - FC Dallas
- Jose Hernandez and Patrick Okonkwo Loaned to ATL UTD 2 - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquire MLS Veteran Forward Quincy Amarikwa - D.C. United
- Tuesday's Friendly against UC Canceled - FC Cincinnati
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at FC Dallas - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Announces English Radio Partnership with 97.1 the Fan and the Return of Crew SC's Spanish Audio Stream - Columbus Crew SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Vancouver Whitecaps Game Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Match Preview: New York Begins 2019 MLS Slate at Columbus - New York Red Bulls
- MLS and ESPN Announce Partnership to Broadcast Live Games to Latin America and the Caribbean - MLS
- MNUFC Announces Roster for 2019 Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- Rapids Acquire $50,000 in TAM in 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Julian Araujo - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Introduces Ticketmaster as Club's Official Ticketing Partner - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United Signs SuperDraft Selection Anderson Asiedu - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Opens 2019 Season Saturday at Houston Dynamo - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting Rolls to 2-0 Champions League Win at Toluca - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Real Salt Lake
- Fan Voting Launches for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Fan XI Presented by Target
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Real Salt Lake
- Atlanta United Named 'Sports Team of the Year' at 2019 Sports Business Awards
- Atlanta United's five-game winning streak snapped at Red Bull Arena