Tuesday's Friendly against UC Canceled
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati's friendly against the University of Cincinnati men's soccer team, scheduled for this coming Tuesday, March 5, has been cancelled. No make-up date will be planned.
The expectation of inclement weather later this weekend and sub-freezing temperatures settling into the Midwest early next week has forced the decision.
"We've been monitoring the weather the last few days and it's increasingly clear that we will not have conditions on Tuesday sufficient to play a friendly," FC Cincinnati President & General Manager Jeff Berding said. "Our first priorities are the health and safety of not only the players on the field, but also the fans who would come out. It's just going to be too cold. With highs expected in the 20s and kickoff temperatures looking like they'd be in the low teens, that's not safe for anyone given an this is an optional match. This is the best decision for us, UC's team and staff, as well as our fans.
"We look forward to debuting at Nippert Stadium on March 17 when we finally play our first home game as an MLS team. We expect a tremendous atmosphere and a truly memorable experience that we'll showcase nationally on FS1," Berding added.
FC Cincinnati's debut MLS game played this Saturday, March 2, when the team travels to face Seattle Sounders FC at CenturyLink Field in a game televised nationally on FS1. The Orange and Blue will make their home debut as an MLS team at Nippert Stadium on Sunday, March 17, when the team hosts MLS Cup finalist Portland Timbers at 5 p.m. Season tickets, mini plans and individual-game tickets are on sale at fccincinnati.com/tickets or by calling 513-977-5425 (KICK).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 1, 2019
- Impact Opens Season against the San Jose Earthquakes Saturday Night - Club de Foot Montreal
- LA Galaxy Exercise Offseason Buyout on Giovani dos Santos - LA Galaxy
- MSG Networks Announces 2019 New York Red Bulls Telecast Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Place ShkÃ«lzen Gashi on Waivers - Colorado Rapids
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. FC Cincinnati - March 2, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City SC Signs 2019 MLS SuperDraft Pick Kamal Miller - Orlando City SC
- MLS Issues Disciplinary Committee Decisions - MLS
- Eight Players from Impact U17 with Team Canada - Club de Foot Montreal
- Preview: Sporting Opens MLS Season Sunday at LAFC - Sporting Kansas City
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- #MLSIsBack=21 Here Are 5 Things You Need to Know About #FCDvNE - FC Dallas
- Jose Hernandez and Patrick Okonkwo Loaned to ATL UTD 2 - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquire MLS Veteran Forward Quincy Amarikwa - D.C. United
- Tuesday's Friendly against UC Canceled - FC Cincinnati
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at FC Dallas - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Announces English Radio Partnership with 97.1 the Fan and the Return of Crew SC's Spanish Audio Stream - Columbus Crew SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Vancouver Whitecaps Game Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Match Preview: New York Begins 2019 MLS Slate at Columbus - New York Red Bulls
- MLS and ESPN Announce Partnership to Broadcast Live Games to Latin America and the Caribbean - MLS
- MNUFC Announces Roster for 2019 Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- Rapids Acquire $50,000 in TAM in 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Julian Araujo - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Introduces Ticketmaster as Club's Official Ticketing Partner - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United Signs SuperDraft Selection Anderson Asiedu - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Opens 2019 Season Saturday at Houston Dynamo - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting Rolls to 2-0 Champions League Win at Toluca - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- FC Cincinnati Add Four Players in 2021 MLS SuperDraft, Select Calvin Harris with Second Overall Pick
- FC Cincinnati Acquire International Roster Spot from Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Free Agent Goalkeeper Cody Cropper
- FC Cincinnati Sign Winger Ben Mines
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Costa Rica International Defender Ronald Matarrita from New York City FC