Columbus Crew SC Announces English Radio Partnership with 97.1 the Fan and the Return of Crew SC's Spanish Audio Stream
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew SC today announced that it has entered into a multi-year agreement with RadiOhio to bring English radio broadcasts of Black & Gold action on 97.1 The Fan and ESPN 1460. Crew SC begins the 2019 regular season at home this weekend and will face the defending Supporters' Shield winners, the New York Red Bulls, at 4:30 p.m. ET this Saturday, March 2 at MAPFRE Stadium with the matching airing locally on 97.1 The Fan and streaming online via "Listen Live" at www.971thefan.com. Veteran broadcaster Chris Doran returns to Columbus to become the English radio play-by-play voice for Crew SC action in 2019.
Crew SC also simultaneously announced that in 2019, the Club's Spanish audio stream, available on ColumbusCrewSC.com, is set to return with broadcaster Juan Valladares behind the microphone for his 11th season.
"We are excited to announce this partnership with 97.1 The Fan and are proud that Crew SC will play an important role in their robust and well-respected sports programming lineup," said Crew SC President Tim Bezbatchenko. "I want to welcome back longtime sports broadcaster Chris Doran back to Columbus as we are happy that he will help deliver an engaging radio broadcast to all listeners."
Continued Bezbatchenko: "We are also looking forward to the return of our Club's Spanish audio stream in 2019 and we are pleased to have Juan Valladares continue as our broadcaster. It is a point of pride that our Spanish audio stream receives listeners from around the world and we want to thank those that tune-in to catch all of our Crew SC broadcasts."
"I'm thrilled to have this new relationship between The Fan and Columbus Crew SC," said Mike Ricordati, Director of Content & Image at 97.1 The Fan. "This isn't just a soccer team, it's a community effort. I know the Haslam and Edwards families are just as committed to Central Ohio as we are. It's a perfect fit."
Chris Doran returns to the radio booth with two decades of Major League Soccer broadcast experience. His start with MLS came in 2000 as Crew SC's substitute radio host before assuming the same role full-time in 2002 with the Chicago Fire. In 2004, Doran transitioned to television and over a decade served as sideline reporter and analyst for Chicago's regional TV package. He returned to Crew SC regional coverage in 2013, as an analyst and matchday host through the 2016 campaign. Doran's radio roots trace back to Bloomington, Indiana as he served as the radio voice of the Indiana University soccer program, calling three College Cup titles for the Hoosiers - including Jerry Yeagley's final championship at MAPFRE Stadium in 2003. Since 2007, Doran's served as an analyst for the Big Ten Network and play-by-play host for FOX TV's coverage of UEFA and CONCACAF championship games.
Returning to the booth for Crew SC's Spanish audio stream on ColumbusCrewSC.com, Juan Valladares originally joined Crew SC as a sideline analyst during the 2009 and 2010 seasons. He worked in radio from 1994-1996, providing coverage of professional soccer before becoming a co-anchor on Channel 25 TV in Honduras from 1995-2002, followed by working for Radio America Deportiva from 2002-2008. He then joined the Azteca America broadcast team to work on "Passion de Futbol" as co-anchor in 2009 and assisted in coverage of CONCACAF Gold Cup coverage in 2009 and 2010 and FIFA World Cup Qualifiers nationwide from 2010-2013.
Crew SC 2019 Season Ticket Memberships are now on sale with additional information available via ColumbusCrewSC.com. Individual Match tickets - which include matches through the month of June - are now also available for sale online at ColumbusCrewSC.com as well as Partial Plans and 4-Pack Plus Plans, which include Opening Match and any regular-season match.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 1, 2019
- Impact Opens Season against the San Jose Earthquakes Saturday Night - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Exercise Offseason Buyout on Giovani dos Santos - LA Galaxy
- MSG Networks Announces 2019 New York Red Bulls Telecast Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Place ShkÃ«lzen Gashi on Waivers - Colorado Rapids
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. FC Cincinnati - March 2, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City SC Signs 2019 MLS SuperDraft Pick Kamal Miller - Orlando City SC
- MLS Issues Disciplinary Committee Decisions - MLS
- Eight Players from Impact U17 with Team Canada - Montreal Impact
- Preview: Sporting Opens MLS Season Sunday at LAFC - Sporting Kansas City
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- #MLSIsBack=21 Here Are 5 Things You Need to Know About #FCDvNE - FC Dallas
- Jose Hernandez and Patrick Okonkwo Loaned to ATL UTD 2 - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquire MLS Veteran Forward Quincy Amarikwa - D.C. United
- Tuesday's Friendly against UC Canceled - FC Cincinnati
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at FC Dallas - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Announces English Radio Partnership with 97.1 the Fan and the Return of Crew SC's Spanish Audio Stream - Columbus Crew SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Vancouver Whitecaps Game Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Match Preview: New York Begins 2019 MLS Slate at Columbus - New York Red Bulls
- MLS and ESPN Announce Partnership to Broadcast Live Games to Latin America and the Caribbean - MLS
- MNUFC Announces Roster for 2019 Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- Rapids Acquire $50,000 in TAM in 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Julian Araujo - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Introduces Ticketmaster as Club's Official Ticketing Partner - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United Signs SuperDraft Selection Anderson Asiedu - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Opens 2019 Season Saturday at Houston Dynamo - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting Rolls to 2-0 Champions League Win at Toluca - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC to Host Invitational College Combine this Saturday
- Columbus Crew SC to Host New York City FC for 2020 MLS Opening Match on March 1
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Defender Axel Sjoberg
- Columbus Crew SC Hires Four New Staff Members for Crew SC Academy
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Winter Wonderland Packs Now on Sale