Match Preview: New York Begins 2019 MLS Slate at Columbus
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls open their 24th MLS Season on the road in a rematch of the 2018 MLS Cup Playoff Eastern Conference Semifinals against Columbus Crew SC on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 4:30 p.m. ET at MAPFRE Stadium.
New York head into the new league campaign after two commanding wins in the opening round of the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League. The Red Bulls won the two-legged series over Dominican Republic based Atlético Pantoja 5-0 on aggregate.
Austrian winger Daniel Royer paced with Red Bulls with two goals during the series, scoring in each leg. Sean Davis and Andreas Ivan added tallies for the Red Bulls at home to help lead New York past Pantoja.
New York come into the 2019 MLS season on the back of a record-breaking season, setting a league high in points with 71. Despite their 2018 success, last season the Red Bulls took only one point from the two games against the Crew, drawing the away end of their two-game series 1-1.
The Red Bulls and Crew SC met in the Eastern Conference Semifinals last season, where New York overcame a 1-0 first leg loss in Columbus to win the series on aggregate, 3-1. Royer scored a second half brace for New York to send the Red Bulls into the next round.
Following Saturday's match against Columbus, New York and Santos Laguna clash in the SCCL Quarterfinals on Tuesday. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. ET from Red Bull Arena.
New York Red Bulls vs. Columbus Crew SC
2019 MLS Regular Season Match 1
MAPFRE Stadium - Columbus, Ohio
Saturday, March 2, 2019 - 4:30 p.m. ET
All-Time Series: New York leads, 30-28-11
Series at Columbus: Crew SC lead, 17-12-6
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 1, 2019
- Impact Opens Season against the San Jose Earthquakes Saturday Night - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Exercise Offseason Buyout on Giovani dos Santos - LA Galaxy
- MSG Networks Announces 2019 New York Red Bulls Telecast Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Place ShkÃ«lzen Gashi on Waivers - Colorado Rapids
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. FC Cincinnati - March 2, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City SC Signs 2019 MLS SuperDraft Pick Kamal Miller - Orlando City SC
- MLS Issues Disciplinary Committee Decisions - MLS
- Eight Players from Impact U17 with Team Canada - Montreal Impact
- Preview: Sporting Opens MLS Season Sunday at LAFC - Sporting Kansas City
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- #MLSIsBack=21 Here Are 5 Things You Need to Know About #FCDvNE - FC Dallas
- Jose Hernandez and Patrick Okonkwo Loaned to ATL UTD 2 - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquire MLS Veteran Forward Quincy Amarikwa - D.C. United
- Tuesday's Friendly against UC Canceled - FC Cincinnati
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at FC Dallas - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Announces English Radio Partnership with 97.1 the Fan and the Return of Crew SC's Spanish Audio Stream - Columbus Crew SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Vancouver Whitecaps Game Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Match Preview: New York Begins 2019 MLS Slate at Columbus - New York Red Bulls
- MLS and ESPN Announce Partnership to Broadcast Live Games to Latin America and the Caribbean - MLS
- MNUFC Announces Roster for 2019 Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- Rapids Acquire $50,000 in TAM in 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Julian Araujo - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Introduces Ticketmaster as Club's Official Ticketing Partner - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United Signs SuperDraft Selection Anderson Asiedu - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Opens 2019 Season Saturday at Houston Dynamo - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting Rolls to 2-0 Champions League Win at Toluca - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.