Jose Hernandez and Patrick Okonkwo Loaned to ATL UTD 2
ATLANTA - Atlanta United today announced Jose Hernandez and Patrick Okonkwo will be loaned to ATL UTD 2 for the 2019 United Soccer League Championship season.
Hernandez, 21, spent most of the 2018 season with ATL UTD 2 where he made 10 starts over 14 appearances. The Venezuelan left back made his MLS debut on September 22 in a 2-0 victory against Real Salt Lake when he came on as a second-half substitute and logged 17 minutes. Hernandez previously spent his entire professional career at Caracas FC of Venezuela's Primera Division before joining Atlanta as a Discovery Signing on Dec. 13, 2017. He has been a fixture with Venezuela's National Team at the U-17 and U-20 levels. He made four starts over five appearances at the 2017 U-20 World Cup in South Korea, helping guide Venezuela to the final where it fell to England.
Okonkwo, 20, was loaned out to Charleston Battery for the 2018 season and made an impact in his second year with the club. He made 24 appearances for Charleston and scored five goals, which ranked third on the team. The striker made 11 starts and logged over 1,000 minutes for the Battery in 2018 and finished the year with 32 total shots, 13 of which were on target. Okonkwo signed a Homegrown contract with Atlanta United on June 17, 2017. The Nigeria native was one of the most prolific scorers in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy from 2015-2017, notching 48 goals in two seasons.
ATL UTD 2 will kick off its second season in its new home of Fifth Third Bank Stadium in Kennesaw, Georgia on March 9 against USL Championship expansion team Hartford Athletic at 7:30 p.m. EST.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 1, 2019
- Impact Opens Season against the San Jose Earthquakes Saturday Night - Club de Foot Montreal
- LA Galaxy Exercise Offseason Buyout on Giovani dos Santos - LA Galaxy
- MSG Networks Announces 2019 New York Red Bulls Telecast Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Place ShkÃ«lzen Gashi on Waivers - Colorado Rapids
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. FC Cincinnati - March 2, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City SC Signs 2019 MLS SuperDraft Pick Kamal Miller - Orlando City SC
- MLS Issues Disciplinary Committee Decisions - MLS
- Eight Players from Impact U17 with Team Canada - Club de Foot Montreal
- Preview: Sporting Opens MLS Season Sunday at LAFC - Sporting Kansas City
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- #MLSIsBack=21 Here Are 5 Things You Need to Know About #FCDvNE - FC Dallas
- Jose Hernandez and Patrick Okonkwo Loaned to ATL UTD 2 - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquire MLS Veteran Forward Quincy Amarikwa - D.C. United
- Tuesday's Friendly against UC Canceled - FC Cincinnati
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at FC Dallas - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Announces English Radio Partnership with 97.1 the Fan and the Return of Crew SC's Spanish Audio Stream - Columbus Crew SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Vancouver Whitecaps Game Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Match Preview: New York Begins 2019 MLS Slate at Columbus - New York Red Bulls
- MLS and ESPN Announce Partnership to Broadcast Live Games to Latin America and the Caribbean - MLS
- MNUFC Announces Roster for 2019 Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- Rapids Acquire $50,000 in TAM in 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Julian Araujo - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Introduces Ticketmaster as Club's Official Ticketing Partner - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United Signs SuperDraft Selection Anderson Asiedu - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Opens 2019 Season Saturday at Houston Dynamo - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting Rolls to 2-0 Champions League Win at Toluca - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United signs Lisandro Lopez from Racing Club
- Atlanta United and the Atlanta Falcons to Retire No. 44 for 2021 Season in Honor of Hank Aaron
- 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Set for April Kickoff
- Atlanta United Selects Josh Bauer and Aiden McFadden in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- Atlanta United Acquires $125,000 in General Allocation Money from D.C. United