LA Galaxy Sign Defender Julian Araujo
LOS ANGELES - The LA Galaxy have signed U.S. Youth National Team and LA Galaxy Academy defender Julian Araujo, the club announced today. Araujo, 17, signs his first professional contract with the club. The Galaxy selected Araujo off waivers after trading $50,000 in Targeted Allocation Money to the Colorado Rapids for the No. 1 spot in the Waiver Order in an earlier transaction.
"Julian is one of the best young defenders in Southern California and we're thrilled that he's chosen to begin his professional career with the LA Galaxy," said LA Galaxy General Manager Dennis te Kloese. "When we have Academy players like Julian that are good enough for the first team, we will sign them to the first team. Our club's structure and mentality will allow a young player like Julian to develop into a top first-team talent. We would also like to thank Santa Barbara Soccer Club and Barca Residency Academy for their role in his development as a person and a player."
Before joining the LA Galaxy Boys' Academy, Araujo attended Lompoc High School, leading his team to the CIF Southern Section Division 4 playoffs during the 2016/17 season. He later earned All-West Conference Best XI honors as a defender. Araujo also spent time playing for the Santa Barbara Soccer Club and the Barca Academy in Casa Grande, Arizona.
Internationally, the native of Lompoc, Calif., has spent time with the U.S. Soccer Youth National Team. Most recently, Araujo was named to the U.S. U-20 roster for the 2018 Concacaf U-20 Championship, where his team won their second straight Concacaf U-20 title with a 2-0 victory against Mexico. Most recently, he was called into U.S. U-19 training camp in Lakewood Ranch, Fla.
Araujo and the LA Galaxy will begin with the 2019 Home Opener at Dignity Health Sports Park when the Galaxy host Chicago Fire on Saturday, March 2 at 5 p.m. PT. Tickets to that match are on sale now, available here.
Transaction: LA Galaxy sign defender Julian Araujo. Galaxy selected Araujo off waivers after trading $50,000 in Targeted Allocation Money to the Colorado Rapids for the No. 1 spot in the Waiver Order.
Name: Julian Araujo
Weight: 154 lbs.
Born: Aug. 13, 2001
Last Club: LA Galaxy Academy
Hometown: Lompoc, California
Birthplace: Lompoc, California
Nationality: United States
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2019 Major League Soccer season at Dignity Health Sports Park are now available. Galaxy fans can go to www.lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2019 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships. Fans can also call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) and press 2 when prompted to secure Season Ticket Memberships.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 1, 2019
- Impact Opens Season against the San Jose Earthquakes Saturday Night - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Exercise Offseason Buyout on Giovani dos Santos - LA Galaxy
- MSG Networks Announces 2019 New York Red Bulls Telecast Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Place ShkÃ«lzen Gashi on Waivers - Colorado Rapids
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. FC Cincinnati - March 2, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City SC Signs 2019 MLS SuperDraft Pick Kamal Miller - Orlando City SC
- MLS Issues Disciplinary Committee Decisions - MLS
- Eight Players from Impact U17 with Team Canada - Montreal Impact
- Preview: Sporting Opens MLS Season Sunday at LAFC - Sporting Kansas City
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- #MLSIsBack=21 Here Are 5 Things You Need to Know About #FCDvNE - FC Dallas
- Jose Hernandez and Patrick Okonkwo Loaned to ATL UTD 2 - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquire MLS Veteran Forward Quincy Amarikwa - D.C. United
- Tuesday's Friendly against UC Canceled - FC Cincinnati
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at FC Dallas - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Announces English Radio Partnership with 97.1 the Fan and the Return of Crew SC's Spanish Audio Stream - Columbus Crew SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Vancouver Whitecaps Game Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Match Preview: New York Begins 2019 MLS Slate at Columbus - New York Red Bulls
- MLS and ESPN Announce Partnership to Broadcast Live Games to Latin America and the Caribbean - MLS
- MNUFC Announces Roster for 2019 Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- Rapids Acquire $50,000 in TAM in 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Julian Araujo - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Introduces Ticketmaster as Club's Official Ticketing Partner - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United Signs SuperDraft Selection Anderson Asiedu - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Opens 2019 Season Saturday at Houston Dynamo - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting Rolls to 2-0 Champions League Win at Toluca - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Launch TOGETHER AT HOME Campaign
- Major League Soccer Suspends Season for 30 Days
- LA Galaxy Announce 2020 Watch Party Schedule, Presented by Modelo
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 0, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1 - Saturday, March 7, 2020
- Grass Berm at Dignity Health Sports Park Returns for Saturday's LA Galaxy Home Opener