Condors Comeback To Defeat K-Wings
Kalamazoo, MI - Despite posting a season-high 50 shots on net, the Kalamazoo Wings (19-19-4-1) squandered a two-goal third period lead, as the Bakersfield Condors (13-29-2-2) come-from-behind to the K-Wings 3-2 Sunday afternoon at Wings Stadium.
Fueled by a season-high for shots in a single period (22) in the first period, the K-Wings jumped ahead 4:17 into the game with a goal from Nick Sirota. The goal for Sirota was his team-leading 15th of the season.
Keeping the Condors in the game was Brian Stewart, as netminder turned aside 20 shots in the period, include six sprawling saves from point blank range.
While Stewart kept Kalamazoo at bay for a majority of the period, the netminder couldn't stop Brett Lysak's (12th) one-timer from the slot with 57.6 remaining in the period. Lysak's goal was his 400th point of his career.
A combined 38 shots on net in the second period, but it didn't translate to any goals. Bakersfield outshot Kalamazoo 21-17 in the period.
Similar to the night before, the K-Wings opponents would erase a two-goal third period deficit. Bakersfield started the comeback 5:57 into the third period with a goal from Peter Boyd (14th). Boyd's goal extended his point streak to eight games, while pushing his goal streak to five straight games.
With their goaltender pulled, Francis Verreault (12th) found room between the circles and fired the puck over the blocker shoulder Joel Martin with 1:15 remaining in regulation to force overtime.
Boyd gave the Condors their first overtime (1-2) win of the season deflecting an Erik Burgoerfer shot 4:30 into the extra session.
Stewart was huge between the pipes stopping 48 shots in the victory, while Martin was equal to the task turning aside 45 in the overtime loss. Martin has now stopped 130 shots in his last three home starts.
Click here for Game Stats.
The K-Wings will remain home on Wednesday, January 30th with a 7 p.m. face-off versus the Fort Wayne Komets on Salute to Red Solo Cup Night, featuring a Toby Keith impersonator, presented by WNWN.
Single-game tickets for the 2012-2013 season are on sale at the Wings Stadium Ticket Office. Ticket Office hours are Monday-Friday 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on Saturdays. To charge tickets by phone, please call Ticketmaster at 800-745-3000.
Tickets for all K-Wings home games are $13 and $17.50 for adults and only $7 for kids ages 14 and under. The price for all K-Wings premium night games (all colored ice games and New Year's Eve game) are just $1 more.
Fans can save money by purchasing K-Wings single-game tickets in advance because tickets purchased on the day of a game increase by $2 (adults only).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2013
- Reed, Riendeau help Thunder get last laugh in season series with win - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Fall To Bulls 3-2 In Overtime - Alaska Aces
- SF Bulls Stun Aces With 3-2 Overtime Win - San Francisco Bulls
- Early Attack Dooms Titans In Elmira, Fall 8-1 - Trenton Titans
- Stockton Edges Utah 2-1, Grizzlies Take 2 of 3 on Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Cruise Past Road Warriors 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones End a Pair of Streaks for Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Snap Road Warriors' Winning Ways - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Jackals Win Clash with Titans - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho captures wild OT win in Gwinnett - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads get past Gladiators 6-5 in Overtime - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Slam Nailers in Sunday Matinee, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Win 4-1 Over Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Comeback To Defeat K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays End Homestand with 5-2 Victory over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Orlando Closes Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to South Carolina - Orlando Solar Bears
- Boyd delivers yet again as Condors stun Kalamazoo in overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Face Aces in Weekend Rubber Match - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Forward Matt Beca Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL announces fines, suspensions - ECHL
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Elmira - January 27; Game 43 (Away 20) - Trenton Titans
- Defensemen Mark Mitera and Patrick Wellar Return to Reading - Reading Royals
- Lee Assigned to Gwinnett from AHL Portland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings Vs Condors - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - January 27 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - January 27 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Host Orlando on Kid's Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- SF Bulls Held off by Aces, 2-1 - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Hang on to Edge Bulls 2-1 - Alaska Aces
- Reed ignites Teddy Bear Toss with goal before 8,026 fans in Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Tie Late; Beat Stockton in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.