SF Bulls Held off by Aces, 2-1
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The San Francisco Bulls (16-21-1-4) battled hard in the third period to even the score, but ultimately were held off by the Alaska Aces (32-11-0-7), 2-1, Saturday night at the Sullivan Arena. Christian Ouellet scored the only goal for the Bulls, and Taylor Nelson made 33 saves. The loss snapped the Bulls three-game win streak.
The Aces took a 1-0 lead at 6:48 of the first period. Alexandre Imbeault scored his 11th goal of the season on the power play. Chris Haltigin and Chris Clackson assisted on the goal. Alaska doubled their lead at 7:57 when Garry Nunn tipped a puck past Nelson for his 13th goal of the season. Zach Harrison and Dustin Molle picked up the assists.
The Bulls got back into the game when Ouellet scored his 11th goal of the season to bring the score to 2-1 in the second period. A big blast from the top of the face-off circle beat goaltender Gerald Coleman. Ouellet's goal was assisted by Jordan Morrison and Sebastien Trudeau with 6:22 remaining in the period. The Bulls got into penalty trouble at the end of the period when they took three consecutive penalties. Impressive penalty killing by Nelson and the Bulls kept San Francisco within reach after 40 minutes.
The Bulls had their chances to tie the game in the third period but could not get the puck past Coleman. The Bulls had a late power play, plus an extra attacker when Nelson was pulled. Alaska's highly-ranked penalty kill was too much to overcome on this night.
The Bulls wrap up their weekend series against the Aces tomorrow evening at 4:05 pm Pacific Time. The Bulls return home next Thursday, the last Thirsty Thursday of the season. On Thursday, January 31, the Bulls host the Ontario Reign at 7:15 pm at the Cow Palace. At select concessions, 12-ounce draft domestic beers are half off.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2013
- Reed, Riendeau help Thunder get last laugh in season series with win - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Fall To Bulls 3-2 In Overtime - Alaska Aces
- SF Bulls Stun Aces With 3-2 Overtime Win - San Francisco Bulls
- Early Attack Dooms Titans In Elmira, Fall 8-1 - Trenton Titans
- Stockton Edges Utah 2-1, Grizzlies Take 2 of 3 on Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Cruise Past Road Warriors 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones End a Pair of Streaks for Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Snap Road Warriors' Winning Ways - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Jackals Win Clash with Titans - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho captures wild OT win in Gwinnett - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads get past Gladiators 6-5 in Overtime - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Slam Nailers in Sunday Matinee, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Win 4-1 Over Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Comeback To Defeat K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays End Homestand with 5-2 Victory over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Orlando Closes Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to South Carolina - Orlando Solar Bears
- Boyd delivers yet again as Condors stun Kalamazoo in overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Face Aces in Weekend Rubber Match - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Forward Matt Beca Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL announces fines, suspensions - ECHL
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Elmira - January 27; Game 43 (Away 20) - Trenton Titans
- Defensemen Mark Mitera and Patrick Wellar Return to Reading - Reading Royals
- Lee Assigned to Gwinnett from AHL Portland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings Vs Condors - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - January 27 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - January 27 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Host Orlando on Kid's Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- SF Bulls Held off by Aces, 2-1 - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Hang on to Edge Bulls 2-1 - Alaska Aces
- Reed ignites Teddy Bear Toss with goal before 8,026 fans in Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Tie Late; Beat Stockton in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.