Game Preview: Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - January 27
Who: Orlando (19-21-2-2, 42pts) vs.
South Carolina Stingrays (21-22-1-3, 46pts)
Where: North Charleston, Coliseum - Charleston, SC
When: 3:05 p.m.
Listen Live: iHeartSolarBears.com, 740thegame.com, iheart.com/live/601/ - Pregame starts at 2:50 p.m.
Watch Live: America One
Follow: Game Updates on Twitter at @OSBHockeyGU
Social Media: Follow on Facebook and Twitter
Game Notes: Click here to download tonight's game notes and rosters
Orlando and South Carolina come together for the second straight game after the Stingrays ended the Solar Bears four-game winning streak last night. After the Solar Bears scored the first goal of the game and led 1-0 going into the second frame, the Stingrays took control, scoring the next five goals of the contest. South Carolina never looked back, using a lengthy power play towards the end of the game to collect a 9-3 win. The Stingrays found themselves on a four-minute 5-on-3 power play chance when C Ryan Cruthers was given a five-minute boarding penalty at the same time that forward C.J. Severyn was issued a double-minor for roughing. Both players were also given game-misconducts, while the Stingrays received no penalties on the play.
Solar Bears Notes:
C Ryan Cruthers extended his goal streak to four-games last night. His first period marker was also his 100th ECHL goal... Orlando's previous four-game winning streak was their longest of the season... The Solar Bears are 12-0-1 when leading after two periods... G John Curry is second in the ECHL with 1,741 minutes played and tied for second in the league with 17 wins. He is third with 825 saves, tied for first with five shootout wins, and is fourth with a .875 shootout save percentage... The Solar Bears officially notified the ECHL during the league meetings held earlier this week of their intention to place a bid to host the 2015 ECHL All-Star Game. They will submit their bid during the Annual League Meetings in June, 2013... Forward C.J. Severyn scored a goal and added an assist to help the ECHL All-Stars defeat the Colorado Eagles 7-3 on Wednesday night... G Mike Brodeur remains on the 21-day IR... D Sean Lorenz was transferred from the reserve to the 21-day IR earlier this week... D Jesse Dudas remains on the 21-day IR... F Mike Sgroi was released yesterday... F Ryan Ginand is currently on the 21-day IR but made the road trip.
G Ryan Zapolski leads the ECHL with a 1.96 GAA. He also leads the league with a .927 save percentage... F Tyler McNeely leads the Stingrays against the Solar Bears with six points (2 goals, 4 assists) in four games... South Carolina is sixth on the power play at home, converting on 23.3 percent of their opportunities (20-for-86)... The Stingrays are 10th on the power play at 19.9 percent (37-for-186) and 12th on the penalty kill at 82.2 percent (148-for-180)... F Tyler McNeely leads the Stingrays in assists (29) and points (41), F Hunter Bishop leads the team in goals (17).
Solar Bears Unveil Turner Cup Banner on Saturday, Feb. 2:
The Orlando Solar Bears will unveil the 2001 Turner Cup Championship Banner on Saturday, February 2. The pregame ceremony will begin promptly at 7:00 p.m. and fans are encouraged to be in their seats early. The Turner Cup will be in the building, along with representatives from the Hockey Hall of Fame. Mayor Buddy Dyer will make a special presentation, and special guests will be in attendance.
The Solar Bears will wear special throwback jerseys that will be auctioned off after the game, with the winning bidders getting an opportunity to meet their player. Orlando won the Turner Cup on May 26, 2001, and never had a chance to raise the banner as the IHL folded immediately following that season.
Mini championship banners will be given away to the first 3,000 people in attendance, courtesy of Ember. To get tickets, visit www.ticketmaster.com or www.orlandosolarbearshockey.com.
The Solar Bears return home on Wednesday, January 30, for a 7:00 p.m. matchup against the Greenville Road Warriors. Orlando will face Greenville again during a 7:00 p.m. contest on Friday, February 1, and then will raise the 2001 Turner Cup Championship Banner on Saturday, February 2, at 7:00 p.m. against the Trenton Titans. Good seats still available, visit www.OrlandoSolarBearsHockey.com.
The Orlando Solar Bears, the ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Minnesota Wild and AHL's Houston Aeros, play all of their home games at the 2012 Street and Smith's Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year, the Amway Center.
Individual tickets for all regular season home games are on sale beginning as low as $15. To purchase your tickets, please visit www.OrlandoSolarBearsHockey.com or the Amway Center Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2013
- Reed, Riendeau help Thunder get last laugh in season series with win - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Fall To Bulls 3-2 In Overtime - Alaska Aces
- SF Bulls Stun Aces With 3-2 Overtime Win - San Francisco Bulls
- Early Attack Dooms Titans In Elmira, Fall 8-1 - Trenton Titans
- Stockton Edges Utah 2-1, Grizzlies Take 2 of 3 on Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Cruise Past Road Warriors 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones End a Pair of Streaks for Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Snap Road Warriors' Winning Ways - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Jackals Win Clash with Titans - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho captures wild OT win in Gwinnett - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads get past Gladiators 6-5 in Overtime - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Slam Nailers in Sunday Matinee, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Win 4-1 Over Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Comeback To Defeat K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays End Homestand with 5-2 Victory over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Orlando Closes Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to South Carolina - Orlando Solar Bears
- Boyd delivers yet again as Condors stun Kalamazoo in overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Face Aces in Weekend Rubber Match - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Forward Matt Beca Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL announces fines, suspensions - ECHL
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Elmira - January 27; Game 43 (Away 20) - Trenton Titans
- Defensemen Mark Mitera and Patrick Wellar Return to Reading - Reading Royals
- Lee Assigned to Gwinnett from AHL Portland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings Vs Condors - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - January 27 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - January 27 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Host Orlando on Kid's Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- SF Bulls Held off by Aces, 2-1 - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Hang on to Edge Bulls 2-1 - Alaska Aces
- Reed ignites Teddy Bear Toss with goal before 8,026 fans in Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Tie Late; Beat Stockton in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears vs. South Carolina Stingrays
- Valleau Returns from IceHogs
- Join Your Orlando Solar Bears at the 2018 Walk to Defeat ALS
- Novak Leads the Way with Five Points in 8-5 Win over Everblades
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades