Bulls Face Aces in Weekend Rubber Match
Bulls Game Day Preview
San Francisco Bulls (16-21-1-4, eighth place, Western Conference) at
Alaska Aces (32-11-0-2), first place, Western Conference)
When: Sunday, January 27 at 4:05 pm
Where: Sullivan Arena
Tonight's Matchup: The San Francisco Bulls (16-21-1-4) look to take the rubber match of the weekend series against the Western Conference-leading Alaska Aces (32-11-0-2). This is the sixth of nine matchups this season, with the Aces maintaining the series lead 4-1-0-0. Last night, the Bulls and Aces fought a tough battle with impressive performances by goalies at both ends, but the Bulls pulled the short straw and came out with a 2-1 loss.
Alaska got on the board early in the first period with Alexandre Imbeault's power play goal at 6:48. Garry Nunn extended the Aces lead with what would end up being the game winner just a minute and nine seconds later. Alaska wasn't able to put anything else past Taylor Nelson, who made 33 saves on the night, earning himself the second star of the game. In the second period, Christian Ouellet brought the Bulls back within one with his 11th goal of the season, and third in two games against the Aces. The rest of the second saw the Bulls put their penalty kill to the test with three successive minor penalties, resulting in six consecutive minutes of the Aces' man advantage. Nelson stood strong and the Bulls killed all three penalties to end the second period. San Francisco threw absolutely everything at Alaska netminder Gerald Coleman in the third, posting 17 shots in the period and pressing hard during a late power play, but the Aces held on for the win.
Christian Ouellet continues his strong performance against the Aces this weekend, scoring three goals in two games. Jordan Morrison extended his point streak to four games with his assist on C. Ouellet's goal. Morrison has been on a tear as of late, posting nine points in the month of January, with two goals and seven assists. Forward Sebastien Trudeau picked up his second assist in as many games, starting his own point streak of three games. San Francisco's defense continues to improve while the new additions assimilate into their roles. Defenseman Cody Carlson did not earn a point on the night, but continues to bolster the Bulls maturing defense.
Alaska maintains their lead in the Western Conference with 66 points, just one point ahead of red hot Ontario Reign, who have won seven straight games. The Bulls slide back into eighth place with 37 points, slightly losing ground on the Utah Grizzlies with 39. San Francisco continues to keep a steady nine point lead on the last-place Bakersfield Condors.
Next Wednesday, the Bulls charge into Stockton to take on the Thunder at 7:00 pm. San Francisco returns home to the Cow Palace next Thursday, January 31, which is the last Thirsty Thursday of the season. The Bulls host the Ontario Reign at 7:15 pm. At select concessions, 12-ounce draft domestic beers are half off.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2013
- Reed, Riendeau help Thunder get last laugh in season series with win - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Fall To Bulls 3-2 In Overtime - Alaska Aces
- SF Bulls Stun Aces With 3-2 Overtime Win - San Francisco Bulls
- Early Attack Dooms Titans In Elmira, Fall 8-1 - Trenton Titans
- Stockton Edges Utah 2-1, Grizzlies Take 2 of 3 on Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Cruise Past Road Warriors 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones End a Pair of Streaks for Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Snap Road Warriors' Winning Ways - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Jackals Win Clash with Titans - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho captures wild OT win in Gwinnett - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads get past Gladiators 6-5 in Overtime - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Slam Nailers in Sunday Matinee, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Win 4-1 Over Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Comeback To Defeat K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays End Homestand with 5-2 Victory over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Orlando Closes Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to South Carolina - Orlando Solar Bears
- Boyd delivers yet again as Condors stun Kalamazoo in overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Face Aces in Weekend Rubber Match - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Forward Matt Beca Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL announces fines, suspensions - ECHL
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Elmira - January 27; Game 43 (Away 20) - Trenton Titans
- Defensemen Mark Mitera and Patrick Wellar Return to Reading - Reading Royals
- Lee Assigned to Gwinnett from AHL Portland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings Vs Condors - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - January 27 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - January 27 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Host Orlando on Kid's Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- SF Bulls Held off by Aces, 2-1 - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Hang on to Edge Bulls 2-1 - Alaska Aces
- Reed ignites Teddy Bear Toss with goal before 8,026 fans in Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Tie Late; Beat Stockton in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.