Jackals Win Clash with Titans
ELMIRA, N.Y. - January 27, 2013 - The Elmira Jackals collected an 8-1 win over the Trenton Titans on Sunday afternoon at First Arena. Fifteen of the 18 skaters in the lineup registered at least one point in the win as Elmira improved its record to 22-17-4 on the season.
The Jackals got off to a fast start in the first period and never let up over the course of the game. Brandon Blandina notched his fourth goal of the season just 4:42 into the game with a backhander from the left wing that caromed off of Trenton goalie Scott Wedgewood and in. The lead grew just 1:05 later when Rob Bellamy deflected a Jordan Pietrus wrist shot past Wedgewood for his sixth of the season. The Titans pushed back with a goal from Bryan Haczyk at 10:01 to close the gap to 2-1. Trenton had next to no time to get comfortable with that score thanks to an unassisted breakaway goal by Dustin Gazley at 11:37 to cap the first period scoring. Maxime Clermont was strong in net for the Jackals in the first with 13 saves.
Trenton produced some of its best scoring opportunities in the second period but Clermont turned away each of the 14 shots he faced to preserve Elmira's lead. Gazley notched his second of the game, 14th of the season, from point-blank range at 4:19 of the second with assists from Andrew Rowe and Jordan Pietrus. Rowe extended his point streak to 10 games with the helper while Pietrus netted his second of three assists in the game.
Elmira put the game well out of reach early in the third period when Rowe and Gazley set up Louie Caporusso's 15th of the season off of a faceoff 3:02 in. Alex Beauregard chipped in his second goal in as many games 47 seconds after Caporusso's marker to extend the lead to 5 at 6-1. Elmira continued to pour it on with markers from Jean Bourbeau at 7:27 and Caporusso at 16:04 to set the final.
Gazley (2G, 2A) led Jackals scorers with his second four-point game of the season. He and Caporusso produced the 22nd and 23rd two-goal games of the season for the Jackals. There has not been a hat trick for the Jackals this season, though. In all six different Jackals produced multi-point games.
Clermont earned his 10th win of the season with 37 saves in goal. The Jackals were 0-for-3 on the power play and 5-for-5 on the penalty kill.
Mark your calendars! The Jackals are back on First Arena ice on Wednesday, February 6, 2013 to take on the Reading Royals at 7:05 p.m. The Jackals will be holding a post-game autograph session with select players and hosting Willowcreek Wednesday. Groups of 10 or more are eligible for discounted tickets and preferred seating based on availability.Call 607-734-7825 to book your group outing. Pro-rated season ticket packages are on sale, as well. Season tickets offer the best value for Jackals fans.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2013
- Reed, Riendeau help Thunder get last laugh in season series with win - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Fall To Bulls 3-2 In Overtime - Alaska Aces
- SF Bulls Stun Aces With 3-2 Overtime Win - San Francisco Bulls
- Early Attack Dooms Titans In Elmira, Fall 8-1 - Trenton Titans
- Stockton Edges Utah 2-1, Grizzlies Take 2 of 3 on Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Cruise Past Road Warriors 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones End a Pair of Streaks for Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Snap Road Warriors' Winning Ways - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Jackals Win Clash with Titans - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho captures wild OT win in Gwinnett - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads get past Gladiators 6-5 in Overtime - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Slam Nailers in Sunday Matinee, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Win 4-1 Over Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Comeback To Defeat K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays End Homestand with 5-2 Victory over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Orlando Closes Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to South Carolina - Orlando Solar Bears
- Boyd delivers yet again as Condors stun Kalamazoo in overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Face Aces in Weekend Rubber Match - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Forward Matt Beca Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL announces fines, suspensions - ECHL
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Elmira - January 27; Game 43 (Away 20) - Trenton Titans
- Defensemen Mark Mitera and Patrick Wellar Return to Reading - Reading Royals
- Lee Assigned to Gwinnett from AHL Portland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings Vs Condors - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - January 27 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - January 27 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Host Orlando on Kid's Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- SF Bulls Held off by Aces, 2-1 - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Hang on to Edge Bulls 2-1 - Alaska Aces
- Reed ignites Teddy Bear Toss with goal before 8,026 fans in Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Tie Late; Beat Stockton in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.