Reed ignites Teddy Bear Toss with goal before 8,026 fans in Stockton
STOCKTON, Calif. - The fur was flying in the Stockton Thunder's eighth-annual Teddy Bear Toss game, which saw thousands of teddy bears fly onto the ice in a wild affair.
The back-and-forth battle went to overtime thanks to Mitch Wahl's goal with 30 seconds left in regulation, and Mark Isherwood won it in overtime for the Utah Grizzlies, sending the Stockton Thuder (21-16-5-3, 50 points) to a 4-3 defeat in front of 8,026 fans at Stockton Arena on Saturday.
"A five-on-three in overtime on two pretty average calls to put us in that position," Thunder head coach Matt Thomas said. "We did a heck of a job killing it. The penalty expires, and our guy doesn't get out of the box. To lose two games in a row on errors that aren't your own to a certain degree is tough to swallow."
"But," Thomas continued, "again, we didn't do enough to win the hockey game. That's on us."
Center Harrison Reed led the way with two goals, including the teddy bear goal just over five minutes into the first period. Center Justin Maylan chipped in with a goal in the third period.
Fans did not have to wait long to toss the teddy bears. On a power play, forward Maxime Boisclair found Reed between the circles. Reed one-timed the puck by Owen into the net for the teddy bear goal 5:14 into the first period.
Once the puck sailed into the goal, fans began to toss a cascade of teddy bears onto the ice. Some ten minutes later, thousands of teddy bears had been collected and the Thunder found themselves up 1-0 thanks to Reed's goal.
"It was pretty exciting," Reed said, "It was a power play goal. I got a nice pass in the slot. I was pretty wide open. It was neat to see the teddy bears fly over our head as we scored."
Not satisfied with just the teddy bear goal, Reed doubled his luck at the 14:12 mark, taking a pass from defenseman Tony DeHart at the left circle and firing a wrist shot by Owen to put the Thunder up 2-0. It was the second power play goal for the Thunder in as many opportunities.
The Grizzlies cut the lead in half on a five-on-three opportunity. Wahl converted on a wrist shot from the point that ricocheted off the post and into the goal, making the count 2-1 just 50 seconds into the second period.
At the 14:39 mark of the middle frame, the Grizzlies were awarded a penalty shot due to tripping from behind. Colin Vock converted the penalty with a backhanded deke to beat Reichard and tie the game at 2-2.
The Thunder took back the lead midway through the third period. Defenseman Colton Hayes wound up a big shot from the point that bounced off Owen's pads. Maylan pounced on the rebound, blasting the puck into the net and putting the Thunder on top 3-2 9:45 into the final frame.
With 30 seconds left in the game, the Grizzlies, having pulled Owen for an extra attacker, forced overtime when Wahl sent in a shot from the point through traffic and into the bottom right corner of the net, tying the game at 3-3.
Isherwood scored the game-winner for Utah 2:26 into overtime on a five-on-three power play.
"It's not just one thing. It's a lot of things that we can't pinpoint right now," said Reed, "There are a lot of things we need to work on as a team: the confidence in our team, the confidence in our game, the confidence in everything and each other too."
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2013
- Reed, Riendeau help Thunder get last laugh in season series with win - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Fall To Bulls 3-2 In Overtime - Alaska Aces
- SF Bulls Stun Aces With 3-2 Overtime Win - San Francisco Bulls
- Early Attack Dooms Titans In Elmira, Fall 8-1 - Trenton Titans
- Stockton Edges Utah 2-1, Grizzlies Take 2 of 3 on Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Cruise Past Road Warriors 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones End a Pair of Streaks for Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Snap Road Warriors' Winning Ways - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Jackals Win Clash with Titans - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho captures wild OT win in Gwinnett - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads get past Gladiators 6-5 in Overtime - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Slam Nailers in Sunday Matinee, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Win 4-1 Over Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Comeback To Defeat K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays End Homestand with 5-2 Victory over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Orlando Closes Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to South Carolina - Orlando Solar Bears
- Boyd delivers yet again as Condors stun Kalamazoo in overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Face Aces in Weekend Rubber Match - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Forward Matt Beca Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL announces fines, suspensions - ECHL
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Elmira - January 27; Game 43 (Away 20) - Trenton Titans
- Defensemen Mark Mitera and Patrick Wellar Return to Reading - Reading Royals
- Lee Assigned to Gwinnett from AHL Portland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings Vs Condors - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - January 27 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - January 27 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Host Orlando on Kid's Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- SF Bulls Held off by Aces, 2-1 - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Hang on to Edge Bulls 2-1 - Alaska Aces
- Reed ignites Teddy Bear Toss with goal before 8,026 fans in Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Tie Late; Beat Stockton in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.