Stingrays End Homestand with 5-2 Victory over Solar Bears
North Charleston, S.C. - The South Carolina Stingrays (22-22-1-3) closed a seven-game homestand Sunday afternoon with a 5-2 victory over the Orlando Solar Bears (19-22-2-2) at the North Charleston Coliseum.
Stingrays forward Hunter Bishop kicked off the scoring on the power play at 15:06 of the first period tipping a shot from forward Tyler McNeely between the legs of Solar Bears goaltender John Curry (L, 11 saves on 15 shots). Defenseman Kevin Quick picked up the second assist.
The Stingrays added four more tallies in the second period to take a 5-1 lead. Forward Chris Langkow capitalized on the man advantage at 10:57 to take a two-goal lead. Quick and defenseman Scooter Vaughan added assists. Less than a minute later, Bishop buried his second marker of the game with help from McNeely and defenseman Art Bidlevskii at 11:47. McNeely added his 13 goal of the season at 15:19 from forwards Robby Dee and Andrew Cherniwchan. Following the goal, Curry was pulled in favor of goalie Patrick Killeen (six saves on seven shots).
The Solar Bears jumped on the board at 16:54 with a marker from forward C.J. Severyn. The Stingrays quickly responded with an unassisted tally from forward Matt Beca at 18:48. Solar Bears winger Michael Neal wrapped up the game scoring with a power-play tally at 3:05 of the third period. The Stingrays ended the contest going 2-for-4 on the power play while the Solar Bears finished 1-for-4.
The Stingrays are back in action Friday, February 1 against the Gwinnett Gladiators at 7:35 p.m. at The Arena at Gwinnett Center in Duluth, Georgia and return to the North Charleston Coliseum on Friday, February 8 to host the Evansville IceMen for the first time in team history at 7:05 p.m. Friday is Nerd-Con featuring the Carolina Garrison! Characters from the classic move "Star Wars" will be walking the concourse. Grab four tickets, four hot dogs, four sodas and large popcorn for $55 with the Stingrays Family Four Pack at the Coliseum Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2013
- Reed, Riendeau help Thunder get last laugh in season series with win - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Fall To Bulls 3-2 In Overtime - Alaska Aces
- SF Bulls Stun Aces With 3-2 Overtime Win - San Francisco Bulls
- Early Attack Dooms Titans In Elmira, Fall 8-1 - Trenton Titans
- Stockton Edges Utah 2-1, Grizzlies Take 2 of 3 on Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Cruise Past Road Warriors 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones End a Pair of Streaks for Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Snap Road Warriors' Winning Ways - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Jackals Win Clash with Titans - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho captures wild OT win in Gwinnett - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads get past Gladiators 6-5 in Overtime - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Slam Nailers in Sunday Matinee, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Win 4-1 Over Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Comeback To Defeat K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays End Homestand with 5-2 Victory over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Orlando Closes Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to South Carolina - Orlando Solar Bears
- Boyd delivers yet again as Condors stun Kalamazoo in overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Face Aces in Weekend Rubber Match - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Forward Matt Beca Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL announces fines, suspensions - ECHL
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Elmira - January 27; Game 43 (Away 20) - Trenton Titans
- Defensemen Mark Mitera and Patrick Wellar Return to Reading - Reading Royals
- Lee Assigned to Gwinnett from AHL Portland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings Vs Condors - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - January 27 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - January 27 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Host Orlando on Kid's Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- SF Bulls Held off by Aces, 2-1 - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Hang on to Edge Bulls 2-1 - Alaska Aces
- Reed ignites Teddy Bear Toss with goal before 8,026 fans in Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Tie Late; Beat Stockton in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.