Orlando Closes Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to South Carolina
North Charleston, SC - South Carolina scored the first four goals of the game en route to a 5-2 victory over the Orlando Solar Bears at the North Charleston Coliseum on Sunday afternoon.
The Stingrays notched the first goal of the late in the first period. F Hunter Bishop deflected a shot from F Tyler McNeely and after Orlando G John Curry got a pad Scott Tanski on the shot, Bishop found the loose puck and pushed it past Curry at 15:06 of the frame. It was the lone first period goal, as Orlando trailed 1-0 heading into the second period.
The middle frame saw South Carolina expand on their lead, netting their second power play goal of the night 10:57 into the period when F Chris Langkow tapped a rebound into the back of the net. Bishop then scored the first even strength goal of the game by knocking a rebound out of mid-air to give the Stingrays a 3-0 lead at 11:47, and McNeely added a fourth goal on a one-time shot at 15:19. Solar Bears F C.J. Severyn put Orlando on the board when he wristed a shot past G Ryan Zapolski at 16:54, but F Matt Beca answered for South Carolina with 1:12 left in the period to give the Stingrays a 5-1 lead.
Orlando was awarded a five minute power play early in the second period when F Justin Coutnall was issued a boarding penalty along with a game-misconduct. That set up F Michael Neal, who settled down a bouncing puck in the slot and wristed just inside to goal post bring Orlando back to within three at 3:05 of the period. It was as close as the Solar Bears would get as South Carolina earned their second straight win over Orlando by the 5-2 score.
Three Stars: 1. T. McNeely (SC); 2. H. Bishop (SC); 3. K. Quick (SC)
Power Plays: ORL: 1/4; SC: 2/4
Shots: ORL: 25; SC: 22
C Ryan Cruthers did not play as he was suspended for his hit in last night's game. He had scored in each of Orlando's previous four games... RW Chris Lawrence was back in the lineup this afternoon missing last night's game... The Solar Bears play 13 of their next 14 games at home... F Michael Neal scored for the second straight game... The Solar Bears have now scored a power play goal in three straight games.
Orlando returns to the Amway Center on Wednesday, January 30, for a 7:00 p.m. game against the Greenville Road Warriors. Good seats are still available. Visit www.OrlandoSolarBearsHockey.com.
The Orlando Solar Bears, the ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Minnesota Wild and AHL's Houston Aeros, play all of their home games at the 2012 Street and Smith's Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year, the Amway Center.
Individual tickets for all regular season home games are on sale beginning as low as $15. To purchase your tickets, please visit www.OrlandoSolarBearsHockey.com or the Amway Center Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2013
- Reed, Riendeau help Thunder get last laugh in season series with win - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Fall To Bulls 3-2 In Overtime - Alaska Aces
- SF Bulls Stun Aces With 3-2 Overtime Win - San Francisco Bulls
- Early Attack Dooms Titans In Elmira, Fall 8-1 - Trenton Titans
- Stockton Edges Utah 2-1, Grizzlies Take 2 of 3 on Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Cruise Past Road Warriors 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones End a Pair of Streaks for Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Snap Road Warriors' Winning Ways - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Jackals Win Clash with Titans - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho captures wild OT win in Gwinnett - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads get past Gladiators 6-5 in Overtime - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Slam Nailers in Sunday Matinee, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Win 4-1 Over Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Comeback To Defeat K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays End Homestand with 5-2 Victory over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Orlando Closes Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to South Carolina - Orlando Solar Bears
- Boyd delivers yet again as Condors stun Kalamazoo in overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Face Aces in Weekend Rubber Match - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Forward Matt Beca Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL announces fines, suspensions - ECHL
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Elmira - January 27; Game 43 (Away 20) - Trenton Titans
- Defensemen Mark Mitera and Patrick Wellar Return to Reading - Reading Royals
- Lee Assigned to Gwinnett from AHL Portland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings Vs Condors - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - January 27 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - January 27 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Host Orlando on Kid's Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- SF Bulls Held off by Aces, 2-1 - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Hang on to Edge Bulls 2-1 - Alaska Aces
- Reed ignites Teddy Bear Toss with goal before 8,026 fans in Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Tie Late; Beat Stockton in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Solar Bears Announce 2017-18 Season-Ending Roster
- Solar Bears to Seek NHL Affiliation for 2018-19 Season
- Solar Bears Announce Completion of Several 2017-18 Trades
- Solar Bears and John Snowden Mutually Agree to Part Ways
- Solar Bears Announce 2018 Protected List