Aces Hang on to Edge Bulls 2-1
Gerald Coleman made 31 saves and the Alaska Aces held off a furious late-game attack to beat the San Francisco Bulls 2-1 in front of 5,206 fans at Sullivan Arena on Saturday night. The win gave Alaska points in three of the last four games and kept the Aces one point in front of the Ontario Reign for the most points in the ECHL. Alaska improved to 32-11-2 on the season, and 18-5 at home. The Aces and Bulls finish their three-game series on Sunday afternoon at 3:05pm, with a Fred Meyer post-game Skate with the Aces. Tickets are on sale now. All Aces games can be heard on NewsTalk 103.7FM and 750AM KFQD. For more information, please contact the Aces office at 907.258.ACES, or visit them on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/alaskaaceshockey.
After Friday night's loss, the Aces came out with an inspired effort in the opening period. Alaska outshot San Francisco 12-5 and scored twice in a short span to take a 2-0 lead. Alex Imbeault opened the scoring at 6:48 finishing off a great pass from Christ Haltigin from just outside the crease. Just 69 seconds later Garry Nunn scored on a wrist shot from the slot to increase the Aces lead and give them the multi-goal advantage at the intermission report.
The Bulls cut into the Aces advantage in the second period. Christian Ouellet scored his third goal of the weekend on a one-timer from the top of the right circle that went off the inside of the right post and into the net at 13:38. The goal stood as the only tally of the second period, after Alaska failed to capitalize on three consecutive power plays in the final six minutes of the frame. Alaska outshot San Francisco 15-10 in the second period.
The Aces withstood another third-period barrage by San Francisco, who put up 17 shots in the final frame. It was punctuated by a late Bulls power play, helping San Francisco record six shots and tremendous pressure in the final two and a half minutes. However, Coleman and company held on to lead Alaska to the victory.
Gerald Coleman (15-4) made 31 saves on 32 shots in the loss. Taylor Nelson (5-8-2) made 33 saves on 35 shots in the win. The Aces went 1-5 on the power play and the Bulls were 0-4. Alaska outshot San Francisco 35-32 in the game.
The Aces and Bulls finish their three-game series on Sunday afternoon at 3:05pm, with a Fred Meyer post-game Skate with the Aces. Tickets are on sale now. All Aces games can be heard on NewsTalk 103.7FM and 750AM KFQD. For more information, please contact the Aces office at 907.258.ACES, or visit them on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/alaskaaceshockey.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2013
- Reed, Riendeau help Thunder get last laugh in season series with win - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Fall To Bulls 3-2 In Overtime - Alaska Aces
- SF Bulls Stun Aces With 3-2 Overtime Win - San Francisco Bulls
- Early Attack Dooms Titans In Elmira, Fall 8-1 - Trenton Titans
- Stockton Edges Utah 2-1, Grizzlies Take 2 of 3 on Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Cruise Past Road Warriors 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones End a Pair of Streaks for Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Snap Road Warriors' Winning Ways - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Jackals Win Clash with Titans - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho captures wild OT win in Gwinnett - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads get past Gladiators 6-5 in Overtime - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Slam Nailers in Sunday Matinee, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Win 4-1 Over Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Comeback To Defeat K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays End Homestand with 5-2 Victory over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Orlando Closes Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to South Carolina - Orlando Solar Bears
- Boyd delivers yet again as Condors stun Kalamazoo in overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Face Aces in Weekend Rubber Match - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Forward Matt Beca Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL announces fines, suspensions - ECHL
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Elmira - January 27; Game 43 (Away 20) - Trenton Titans
- Defensemen Mark Mitera and Patrick Wellar Return to Reading - Reading Royals
- Lee Assigned to Gwinnett from AHL Portland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings Vs Condors - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - January 27 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - January 27 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Host Orlando on Kid's Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- SF Bulls Held off by Aces, 2-1 - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Hang on to Edge Bulls 2-1 - Alaska Aces
- Reed ignites Teddy Bear Toss with goal before 8,026 fans in Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Tie Late; Beat Stockton in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.