Colorado Tripped up by Silver Knights, 4-1
LOVELAND, CO. - The Henderson Silver Knights netted three goals in the second period to break a 1-1 stalemate and earn a 4-1 victory over the Colorado Eagles on Saturday. Eagles defenseman Ian Scheid scored the team's lone goal in the loss, as Colorado connected on the power play for the first time in five games. Henderson generated goals from four different goal scorers, as Dylan Sikura and Jimmy Schuldt each finished the night with two points.
For a second-straight night it would be Henderson to jump out to a 1-0 lead, as forward Pavel Dorofeyev would track down a rebound at the top of the crease and lift the puck into the back of the net at the 7:30 mark of the first period.
Minutes later, the Eagles would earn their first power play of the night and they would capitalize, as Scheid fired a shot from the blue line that would beat Silver Knights goaltender Logan Thompson. The goal was Scheid's first as a professional and tied the game at 1-1 with 8:11 remaining in the opening 20 minutes.
As the two teams moved into the second period still deadlocked at 1-1, Henderson would jump back on top when Schuldt hammered a slapshot from the point that would be tipped by forward Patrick Brown and past Colorado goalie Adam Werner to give the Silver Knights a 2-1 advantage at the :52 mark of the period.
The deficit would grow for the Eagles when Sikura skated from the right-wing circle to the slot before snapping a wrister into the back of the net. The goal was Sikura's sixth of the season and gave Henderson a 3-1 lead with 4:01 left to play in the second stanza.
The Silver Knights would notch one more on the scoreboard when forward Lukas Elvenes batted a bouncing puck out of midair and past Werner to put Henderson on top, 4-1 at the 18:57 mark of the middle frame.
Needing to scratch out of a deepening hole, Colorado would throw 11 shots on net in the third period, but Thompson would shut down all 11 opportunities to help the Silver Knights secure the 4-1 victory. The Eagles finished the night going 1-for-2 on the power play and a perfect 4-for-4 on the penalty kill. Werner suffered the loss in net, allowing four goals on 33 shots, while Thompson improved to 5-1-0 on the year by turning aside 28 of the 29 shots he faced.
Colorado will return to action when the Eagles host the Henderson Silver Knights on Monday, March 8th at 7:05pm MT. Fans can catch every game this season live on "The Home of the Colorado Eagles," 92.9 The Bear or on AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 6, 2021
- Colorado Tripped up by Silver Knights, 4-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Henderson Wins Sixth in a Row, Defeat Colorado 4-1 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Devils Lose Lead in 6-3 Loss to Penguins - Binghamton Devils
- Crunch Defeated by Amerks, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Dea's Three-Point Night Propels Amerks to 4-2 Win in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Iowa Comes up Short in 3-2 Loss at Rockford - Iowa Wild
- Roadrunners Welcome Fans Back to Tucson Arena - Tucson Roadrunners
- Moose Top Belleville, 6-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Forward Jayson Megna Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Can't Solve Kivlenieks - Chicago Wolves
- Monsters Complete Weekend Sweep of Wolves with 3-1 Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Late Scores Push Stockton Win Streak to Five - Stockton Heat
- Flurry to Start Second Period Leads Bears Past Phantoms, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Bears Snag First Win in Rivalry Series - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Aim for Fifth-Straight Win Saturday against Toronto - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Drop First of Back-To-Back against Stockton - Toronto Marlies
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs Moose March 6th - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 1 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Hogs Game Day: IceHogs Host Wild for Two-Game Weekend Set at BMO Harris Bank Center Starting Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- San Jose Ends Home Streak - San Diego Gulls
- Five Straight Topple Roadrunners - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game #10 Texas at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Hat Trick from Gage Quinney Leads Silver Knights to 4-2 Victory - Henderson Silver Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.