Brandon Seltzer Belts Walk-Off Grand Slam to Defeat Madison Mallards
WAUSAU, WI - With the Wisconsin Woodchucks trailing by two runs in the ninth inning, Brandon Seltzer stepped to the plate with the bases loaded. In clutch fashion, the recently named 2019 All-Star hit a grand slam to beat the Madison Mallards by a final score of 9-7.
Nate Madej made his seventh start of the season for the Woodchucks. The left-handed pitcher now leads the Chucks in starts. He allowed four runs on five hits. The Mallards drove in those four runs in the top of the third inning. This gave them an early 4-0 lead.
The Woodchucks would eventually fight back to tie the game. In the bottom of the third inning with the bases loaded, Alec Arnone brought everyone but himself home with a three-run scoring RBI single. This drew the Woodchucks within one run of the Mallards with the score at 4-3.
The Woodchucks tied the game in the sixth inning. Alejandro Gonzalez stepped to the plate with the bases loaded. He drove a ball to deep left center that bounced off of the wall and brought home one run. This evened the score at 4-4.
The Mallards reclaimed the lead in the seventh inning. Woodchucks relief pitcher Jose Varela allowed three runs (two earned) on two hits. The score was 7-4 with the Mallards leading until Woodchucks pinch hitter Byron Murray drove in another run for the Chucks. The recently named 2019 All-Star hit a double to left field that drove in TJ Reeves. This brought the Woodchucks within two runs of the Mallards with the score at 7-5.
Woodchucks relief pitcher Tom Ambrosino entered in the eighth inning. The Adelphi University product tossed two scoreless innings, giving the Woodchucks an opportunity to score in the bottom of the ninth. With that opportunity, the Woodchucks loaded the bases and allowed Brandon Seltzer to hit a walk-off grand slam. The Woodchucks won by a final score of 9-7.
Brandon Seltzer finished 2-6 with four RBI. He hit a walk-off grand slam to win the game.
Alec Arnone went 2-4 with one walk, one run, and three RBI. His bases clearing single brought three runs home in the third inning.
Alejandro Gonzalez went 2-6 with one run and one RBI. He nearly hit a grand slam in the sixth inning, but instead settled for a hit off the left center wall that drove in one run and tied the game.
Woodchucks relief pitcher Tom Ambrosino came on in the eighth inning and pitched through the ninth. He allowed zero runs and allowed only one hit, giving the Woodchucks an opportunity to score in the bottom of the ninth.
The Wisconsin Woodchucks will play in Madison tomorrow on Saturday, July 6th against the Mallards at 5:05 PM. The Woodchucks will stay on the road against the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders on Sunday, July 7th at 1:05 PM. The Woodchucks will return home on Monday, July 8th to face the Dock Spiders. It will be Grandparents Night! Bring the grandkids and get half off tickets and $1.00 hot dogs. For tickets, call us at 715.845.5055, stop by our front office, or visit woodchucks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 5, 2019
- Eide Ford Lincoln Celebrates Veterans - Bismarck Larks
- MoonDogs Sweep Larks in Independence Day Doubleheader - Mankato MoonDogs
- Growlers Squish Bombers in I-94 Doubleheader Sweep - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Lesley Dazzles as MoonDogs Take Game Three from Larks - Mankato MoonDogs
- Bucks Doused 1-0 in Rain-Shortened Game - Waterloo Bucks
- Rox Defeat Stingers at the Rock Pile on Walk-Off - St. Cloud Rox
- Jack Mahoney Throws No-Hitter in Win Versus Rockford - Green Bay Booyah
- Mallards Lose on Walk-Off Grand Slam - Madison Mallards
- Eight-Game Streak Ends in Fond Du Lac - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Brandon Seltzer Belts Walk-Off Grand Slam to Defeat Madison Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Huskies Lose 10-7 in Wild Friday Night Contest - Duluth Huskies
- Seventh Inning Rally Leads to a Dock Spiders Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Battle Creek Comeback Falls Short in Traverse City - Battle Creek Bombers
- Jones Fires Pit Spitters to Fourteenth Straight Victory - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Four Rafters Named Northwoods League All-Stars - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rafters Start Road Trip in Fond Du Lac - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Three Rox Players Named to 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Game - St. Cloud Rox
- Huskies go 3-4 over week six - Duluth Huskies
- Tanner Lane Earns All-Star Bid for Green Bay - Green Bay Booyah
- Four Bucks Named NWL All-Stars - Waterloo Bucks
- Holgate, Freilich Named to 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Team - La Crosse Loggers
- Three Woodchucks Selected to Play in the 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Game - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Nine Mallards Selected to 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Game - Madison Mallards
- Five Honkers Named All-Stars - Rochester Honkers
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 All-Star Selections - Duluth Huskies
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 All-Star Selections - Northwoods
- Bullock and Adreon to Represent Dock Spiders at NWL All-Star Game - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Loggers Offense Explodes on Independence Day - La Crosse Loggers
- Battle Creek Falls in Fourth of July Doubleheader - Battle Creek Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.