Jones Fires Pit Spitters to Fourteenth Straight Victory
Traverse City, MI - On the day that he was named a 2019 Northwoods League All Star, Kyle Jones (FR Toledo) absolutely lived up to the billing, driving the Pit Spitters to a 5-3 victory in the series opener versus the Battle Creek Bombers.
The home side showed no signs slowing down their torrid pace, staking out an early four run lead in the second inning. In the frame, they posted four runs on four hits. The big strikes came from Daniel Head (JR New Mexico State) and Mario Camilletti (SO Oakland,) who each singled home runs.
From then on, it was all Jones and the Pit Spitters relief crew. Jones finished seven innings, allowing one earned run on four hits, while striking out five. He took the win in the ballgame, extending his record to 5-1 on the campaign, pulling level with teammate Andrew Hoffman (FR Oakland) for the league lead in the category. Will Buraconak (JR Indiana State) followed with a scoreless frame in the eighth, and Joe Pace nailed down his first save of the campaign by striking out three in the ninth.
The Pit Spitters return to action Saturday, in a 7:05 p.m. rematch with the Battle Creek Bombers. Every Saturday is "Sizzlin' Saturday," at Pit Spitters Park, with a different theme each week. This week is Nickelodeon Night featuring Spongebob Squarepants. Spongebob will make an appearance and specialty Spongebob themed jerseys will be worn and auctioned off with all proceeds going to charity. Gates will open at 6:00 p.m.
Tickets are available online at www.pitspitters.com. Prices are $6 for lawn and $10 for box seats. Individual, season and group tickets are on sale and can be purchased in advance by calling (231) 943-0100. Complete ticket information including season tickets, group prices and perks is available at www.pitspitters.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 5, 2019
- Eide Ford Lincoln Celebrates Veterans - Bismarck Larks
- MoonDogs Sweep Larks in Independence Day Doubleheader - Mankato MoonDogs
- Growlers Squish Bombers in I-94 Doubleheader Sweep - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Lesley Dazzles as MoonDogs Take Game Three from Larks - Mankato MoonDogs
- Bucks Doused 1-0 in Rain-Shortened Game - Waterloo Bucks
- Rox Defeat Stingers at the Rock Pile on Walk-Off - St. Cloud Rox
- Jack Mahoney Throws No-Hitter in Win Versus Rockford - Green Bay Booyah
- Mallards Lose on Walk-Off Grand Slam - Madison Mallards
- Eight-Game Streak Ends in Fond Du Lac - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Brandon Seltzer Belts Walk-Off Grand Slam to Defeat Madison Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Huskies Lose 10-7 in Wild Friday Night Contest - Duluth Huskies
- Seventh Inning Rally Leads to a Dock Spiders Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Battle Creek Comeback Falls Short in Traverse City - Battle Creek Bombers
- Jones Fires Pit Spitters to Fourteenth Straight Victory - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Four Rafters Named Northwoods League All-Stars - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rafters Start Road Trip in Fond Du Lac - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Three Rox Players Named to 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Game - St. Cloud Rox
- Huskies go 3-4 over week six - Duluth Huskies
- Tanner Lane Earns All-Star Bid for Green Bay - Green Bay Booyah
- Four Bucks Named NWL All-Stars - Waterloo Bucks
- Holgate, Freilich Named to 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Team - La Crosse Loggers
- Three Woodchucks Selected to Play in the 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Game - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Nine Mallards Selected to 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Game - Madison Mallards
- Five Honkers Named All-Stars - Rochester Honkers
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 All-Star Selections - Duluth Huskies
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 All-Star Selections - Northwoods
- Bullock and Adreon to Represent Dock Spiders at NWL All-Star Game - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Loggers Offense Explodes on Independence Day - La Crosse Loggers
- Battle Creek Falls in Fourth of July Doubleheader - Battle Creek Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.