Four Bucks Named NWL All-Stars
Waterloo, Iowa - The Northwoods League has announced the rosters for the 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Game presented by Experience Waterloo and the Cedar Valley Sports Commission, which will be played on Tuesday, July 16 at 7:05 pm at Cost Cutters Field at Riverfront Stadium here in Waterloo. Four players from the First-Half Great Plains East Champion Waterloo Bucks were selected: Patrick Ferguson, Dylan Phillips, Alonzo Rubalcaba, and Jimmy Smiley.
First baseman Patrick Ferguson, a junior from Kent State University and originally from North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, leads the Great Plains Division in walks with 33 and is tied for second in the Division in home runs with six. Ferguson, who is in his second season with Waterloo, is hitting .306 with a team-leading 27 RBI.
Two-way player Dylan Phillips, a freshman from Kansas State University and originally from Omaha, Nebraska, was named to the All-Star team as a designated hitter. As a batter, Phillips is hitting .278 with three home runs, 21 RBI, and six stolen bases. On the mound, the left-hander owns a 2.63 ERA with a 1-1 record, 18 strikeouts, and one save in 13.2 innings pitched.
Santa Barbara City College catcher Alonzo Rubalcaba is hitting .302 with one home run, 15 RBI, and six stolen bases this season for the Bucks. A native of Vacaville, California, the freshman has thrown out an NWL leading 17 runners attempting to steal.
Right-handed pitcher Jimmy Smiley, a junior from Columbia University and originally from La Crescenta, California, is sporting a 2.57 ERA with a 3-0 record, two saves, and 24 strikeouts in 13 appearances. Smiley is currently tied for second in the Great Plains Division in the "Relief Pitcher Point Standings" with 12 points.
This year's All-Stars were chosen in a vote by the 22 member teams of the Northwoods League. Ballots were cast by each team's field staff and media contacts.
The Bucks will host the 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Game presented by Experience Waterloo and the Cedar Valley Sports Commission on Tuesday, July 16 and tickets are currently on sale. The ballpark welcomed a new state of the art video board in 2016 thanks to a matching grant from the Black Hawk County Gaming Association. Team ownership has invested more than $300,000 in improvements since the end of the 2014 season including painted bleachers, public Wi-Fi, sound system, group outing areas, kids zone inflatables, and concessions equipment. Fans are encouraged to stay in touch with the Bucks by utilizing their website at www.waterloobucks.com or utilizing the Northwoods League Mobile App.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 5, 2019
- Eide Ford Lincoln Celebrates Veterans - Bismarck Larks
- MoonDogs Sweep Larks in Independence Day Doubleheader - Mankato MoonDogs
- Growlers Squish Bombers in I-94 Doubleheader Sweep - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Lesley Dazzles as MoonDogs Take Game Three from Larks - Mankato MoonDogs
- Bucks Doused 1-0 in Rain-Shortened Game - Waterloo Bucks
- Rox Defeat Stingers at the Rock Pile on Walk-Off - St. Cloud Rox
- Jack Mahoney Throws No-Hitter in Win Versus Rockford - Green Bay Booyah
- Mallards Lose on Walk-Off Grand Slam - Madison Mallards
- Eight-Game Streak Ends in Fond Du Lac - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Brandon Seltzer Belts Walk-Off Grand Slam to Defeat Madison Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Huskies Lose 10-7 in Wild Friday Night Contest - Duluth Huskies
- Seventh Inning Rally Leads to a Dock Spiders Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Battle Creek Comeback Falls Short in Traverse City - Battle Creek Bombers
- Jones Fires Pit Spitters to Fourteenth Straight Victory - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Four Rafters Named Northwoods League All-Stars - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rafters Start Road Trip in Fond Du Lac - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Three Rox Players Named to 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Game - St. Cloud Rox
- Huskies go 3-4 over week six - Duluth Huskies
- Tanner Lane Earns All-Star Bid for Green Bay - Green Bay Booyah
- Four Bucks Named NWL All-Stars - Waterloo Bucks
- Holgate, Freilich Named to 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Team - La Crosse Loggers
- Three Woodchucks Selected to Play in the 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Game - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Nine Mallards Selected to 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Game - Madison Mallards
- Five Honkers Named All-Stars - Rochester Honkers
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 All-Star Selections - Duluth Huskies
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 All-Star Selections - Northwoods
- Bullock and Adreon to Represent Dock Spiders at NWL All-Star Game - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Loggers Offense Explodes on Independence Day - La Crosse Loggers
- Battle Creek Falls in Fourth of July Doubleheader - Battle Creek Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Waterloo Bucks Stories
- Bucks Partner with Northwoods League Foundation for "Share the Glove" Initiative
- Bucks Announce Summer Internship Opportunities
- Bucks Announce 2020 Schedule
- Bucks Seeking Nominations for Military Heroes Class of 2020
- Cost Cutters Field at Riverfront Stadium to Host Football Watch Parties