Mallards Lose on Walk-Off Grand Slam
WAUSAU, Wis. - The Madison Mallards (25-14) lost 9-7 to the Wisconsin Woodchucks (19-20) on Friday at Athletic Park. Brandon Seltzer (Palm Beach Atlantic) smoked a walk-off grand slam in the bottom of the ninth inning to give the Woodchucks the win. It was Seltzer's fifth home run of the season. The Mallards have lost three games in a row and begin the second half of the 2019 season 0-3.
After a few scoreless innings to begin, both teams got their offenses rolling in the third. Madison jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the top half of the frame. With two runners on, EJ Ranel (Lenoir-Rhyne) doubled to left field to plate the first run of the game before a Woodchuck error allowed a second to score.
Then, a sacrifice fly from Justice Bigbie (Western Carolina) put the Mallards ahead 3-0. Two batters later, Logan Michaels (Virginia) ripped an RBI single to increase Madison's lead to four runs.
The Woodchucks loaded the bases with two out in the third inning. Alec Arnone (UC-Riverside) delivered a bases-clearing single and slimmed the Mallards' lead to 4-3.
Alejandro Gonzales (Waldorf University) lined an RBI single in the sixth inning for the Woodchucks to tie the game at 4-4.
In the seventh, the division foes exchanged more runs. The middle of Madison's order delivered three-consecutive RBIs to give the Mallards a 7-4 lead. Andre Nnebe smoked an RBI single before a sacrifice fly from Michaels. The scoring closed on an RBI single from Drew Williams (San Jose State)
Byron Murray (Lynn University) roped pinch-hit RBI double in the bottom of the seventh to cut the Mallard lead to 7-5.
In the ninth, the Mallards were one out away from escaping with a victory before Seltzer's grand slam sailed over the wall in left field to give the 'Chucks a walk-off win.
Nick Morales (San Jose State) gave up the grand slam and took the loss for the Mallards. Wisconsin reliever Tom Ambrosino (Adelphi University) earned the win for the Woodchucks.
Morales escaped a jam in the eighth with three-consecutive strikeouts. Then, in the ninth, picked up his fifth strikeout when the bases were loaded and inched the Mallards closer to a victory. However, a few pitches later, Seltzer crushed his grand slam and ended the night.
Ranel paced the offense with a 3-for-4 night, highlighted by two doubles. He also picked up an RBI and scored two of the seven Madison runs.
Michaels ended the game 1-for-4 at the plate, but was the only Mallard to record multiple RBI. He collected two and boosted his season total to 19 RBI.
Lowell Schipper (Richmond) gave the Mallards another strong start on the mound. The right-hander crafted five innings and did not yield an earned run. He gave up four hits.
The Mallards return to Warner Park after an eight-game road swing and close their series with the Woodchucks. First pitch is scheduled for 5:05 p.m. at the Duck Pond on Saturday. After the game, fans can enjoy a post-game concert by Run Forrest Run presented by MGE. Following the concert, there will we post-game fireworks presented by Pepsi. It is also a Wisconsin Ticket Special night. For details, fans are encouraged to check www.mallardsbaseball.com. Hear every pitch of the 2019 Mallards' season live on The Zone, 96.7 FM and 1670 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 5, 2019
- Eide Ford Lincoln Celebrates Veterans - Bismarck Larks
- MoonDogs Sweep Larks in Independence Day Doubleheader - Mankato MoonDogs
- Growlers Squish Bombers in I-94 Doubleheader Sweep - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Lesley Dazzles as MoonDogs Take Game Three from Larks - Mankato MoonDogs
- Bucks Doused 1-0 in Rain-Shortened Game - Waterloo Bucks
- Rox Defeat Stingers at the Rock Pile on Walk-Off - St. Cloud Rox
- Jack Mahoney Throws No-Hitter in Win Versus Rockford - Green Bay Booyah
- Mallards Lose on Walk-Off Grand Slam - Madison Mallards
- Eight-Game Streak Ends in Fond Du Lac - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Brandon Seltzer Belts Walk-Off Grand Slam to Defeat Madison Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Huskies Lose 10-7 in Wild Friday Night Contest - Duluth Huskies
- Seventh Inning Rally Leads to a Dock Spiders Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Battle Creek Comeback Falls Short in Traverse City - Battle Creek Bombers
- Jones Fires Pit Spitters to Fourteenth Straight Victory - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Four Rafters Named Northwoods League All-Stars - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rafters Start Road Trip in Fond Du Lac - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Three Rox Players Named to 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Game - St. Cloud Rox
- Huskies go 3-4 over week six - Duluth Huskies
- Tanner Lane Earns All-Star Bid for Green Bay - Green Bay Booyah
- Four Bucks Named NWL All-Stars - Waterloo Bucks
- Holgate, Freilich Named to 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Team - La Crosse Loggers
- Three Woodchucks Selected to Play in the 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Game - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Nine Mallards Selected to 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Game - Madison Mallards
- Five Honkers Named All-Stars - Rochester Honkers
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 All-Star Selections - Duluth Huskies
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 All-Star Selections - Northwoods
- Bullock and Adreon to Represent Dock Spiders at NWL All-Star Game - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Loggers Offense Explodes on Independence Day - La Crosse Loggers
- Battle Creek Falls in Fourth of July Doubleheader - Battle Creek Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Mallards Rally Falls Shy in Traverse City
- Mallards Compete against Traverse City for Great Lakes Championship
- Mallards Explosive Offense and Strong Pitching Eliminates Rafters
- Mallards Put Rafters on Verge of Elimination
- Mallards Roll Rafters 9-2 to Open Playoffs