Battle Creek Comeback Falls Short in Traverse City
The Battle Creek Bombers couldn't come back from a five-run deficit as they fell to the Traverse City Pit Spitters 5-2 in northern Michigan.
Traverse City got out to an early advantage with four runs in the second inning. The Pit Spitters sent eight batters to the plate in the frame, as Daniel Head's RBI single led off the scoring. A fielder's choice off of the bat of Hudson Byorick and an RBI single from Mario Camilletti would extend the lead to 4-0.
Bombers pitcher Lyle Hibbits would settle in, though, as he ended up throwing seven innings and allowing only one earned run, but four unearned runs. Traverse City would add one more in the bottom of the fourth inning, as Byorick reached on an error. Battle Creek would begin to bounce back, though, scoring one run in the fifth inning. Michael Morrissette singled to right field for his eight RBI of the season to bring the Bombers closer off of All-Star Traverse City starter Kyle Jones.
Morrissette would bring another runner home in the seventh inning, as he reached on a fielder's choice to bring the deficit to 5-2. Both managers turned to their bullpens in the eighth, and Battle Creek had a chance to bring themselves even closer. The bases were loaded with two outs, but Traverse City reliever Will Buraconak induced a fly-out from pinch-hitter Jack Merrifield to work out of the inning.
Joe Pace came into the game in the ninth inning, looking for his first save as a member of the Pit Spitters. The Bombers would inch closer with an RBI single from Josh Sears, who was also named to the Northwoods League All-Star Game. Pace would strike out John Malcom, though, to end the game.
The win marks the 14th consecutive victory for Traverse City, who improve to 3-0 in the Great Lakes East in the second half of the season. The two teams will play again in the second game of a two-game series on Saturday night at 7:05 eastern time.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 5, 2019
- Eide Ford Lincoln Celebrates Veterans - Bismarck Larks
- MoonDogs Sweep Larks in Independence Day Doubleheader - Mankato MoonDogs
- Growlers Squish Bombers in I-94 Doubleheader Sweep - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Lesley Dazzles as MoonDogs Take Game Three from Larks - Mankato MoonDogs
- Bucks Doused 1-0 in Rain-Shortened Game - Waterloo Bucks
- Rox Defeat Stingers at the Rock Pile on Walk-Off - St. Cloud Rox
- Jack Mahoney Throws No-Hitter in Win Versus Rockford - Green Bay Booyah
- Mallards Lose on Walk-Off Grand Slam - Madison Mallards
- Eight-Game Streak Ends in Fond Du Lac - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Brandon Seltzer Belts Walk-Off Grand Slam to Defeat Madison Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Huskies Lose 10-7 in Wild Friday Night Contest - Duluth Huskies
- Seventh Inning Rally Leads to a Dock Spiders Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Battle Creek Comeback Falls Short in Traverse City - Battle Creek Bombers
- Jones Fires Pit Spitters to Fourteenth Straight Victory - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Four Rafters Named Northwoods League All-Stars - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rafters Start Road Trip in Fond Du Lac - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Three Rox Players Named to 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Game - St. Cloud Rox
- Huskies go 3-4 over week six - Duluth Huskies
- Tanner Lane Earns All-Star Bid for Green Bay - Green Bay Booyah
- Four Bucks Named NWL All-Stars - Waterloo Bucks
- Holgate, Freilich Named to 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Team - La Crosse Loggers
- Three Woodchucks Selected to Play in the 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Game - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Nine Mallards Selected to 2019 Northwoods League All-Star Game - Madison Mallards
- Five Honkers Named All-Stars - Rochester Honkers
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 All-Star Selections - Duluth Huskies
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 All-Star Selections - Northwoods
- Bullock and Adreon to Represent Dock Spiders at NWL All-Star Game - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Loggers Offense Explodes on Independence Day - La Crosse Loggers
- Battle Creek Falls in Fourth of July Doubleheader - Battle Creek Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Battle Creek Bombers Stories
- Bombers' Bats Catch Fire in the Fourth, Hand Mac Daddies Their Third Loss
- Bombers Fall for the First Time this Season as Mac Daddies Win Franchise's First Game
- Bombers Leave 9 on Base, Still Maintain Perfect Record
- Bombers Bounce Growlers in 2020 Season Opener
- Bombers Release 2020 Promotions Schedule