Boucher Earns Another Record as Comets Top Checkers
Charlotte, NC - Reid Boucher's second period goal set a new single-season record for total goals by a Utica Comet, as his timely scoring lifted the Utica Comets to a 2-1 win over the Charlotte Checkers on Friday night at Bojangles' Coliseum.
Falling behind in the first, the Checkers put the Comets down 1-0 with a goal from former Comet Alexis D'Aoust. Utica began to create chances of their own, with the reward coming a little over eleven minutes later. Pushing up the ice, Sven Baertschi and Carter Camper engaged in a two-on-one which ended with Camper moving towards the slot to fling a wrist shot into the glove-side corner of Keith Kinkaid's net.
Early in the second and maintaining their momentum, the Comets took their first lead of the game with a record-breaking goal from Reid Boucher. Carrying the puck up the ice on an odd-man rush, Boucher called his own number and whizzed a snap shot over the stick-side shoulder of Kinkaid and in. It was the lone goal of the second and sent the Comets into the break ahead by one.
The goal from Boucher proved to be the difference maker, as the Comets defense and Michael DiPietro slammed the door shut by killing three penalties and withstanding a barrage of Checkers' attempts in the final period. The effort down the stretch helped Utica to skate to a nail-biting win on the road.
The Comets go right back at it tomorrow night in a rematch against the Checkers. Puck drop is at 6 p.m. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 6, 2020
- Eagles Score Three Unanswered to Secure 4-1 Win over Reign - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Defeat Chimuelos on Late Robertson Goal - San Antonio Rampage
- Bellows scores twice and hits 20-goal mark on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rocket Earn Third Consecutive Victory with a 5-1 Win over Monsters - Laval Rocket
- Stars Stun Rampage 2-1 in Last-Second Victory - Texas Stars
- Amerks Take Down First-Place Senators - Rochester Americans
- Morgan Frost Scores Twice in Start of 3-Game Weekend - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Extend Win Streak to Nine Games, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 2-1, in Overtime - Providence Bruins
- Vanecek, Bears Shutout Wolf Pack 1-0 - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Can't Catch Roadrunners - Chicago Wolves
- Offense Silent in Shutout Loss - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins Can't Claw Back in Third Period, Lose to Devils - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sens Fall to Amerks in Back-To-Back Opener - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Fall to Comets in Goaltending Duel - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Stopped Short in 5-1 Loss to Rocket - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Fall to Marlies, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Defeat Penguins, 6-4 - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds Battle Back Late to Secure Point vs. Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Boucher Earns Another Record as Comets Top Checkers - Utica Comets
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Stolarz to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Marlies Open Back to Back against Syracuse - Toronto Marlies
- Wolf Pack to Hold Calder Cup Reunion Friday, April 10 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Springfield Thunderbirds Sign Five-Year Affiliation Agreement with Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Dubeau Steady in First AHL Win - Belleville Senators
- Heat Start Home-And-Home against Condors Friday - Stockton Heat
- Reign Recall Max Gottlieb from Fort Wayne - Ontario Reign
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, March 6, 2020 at Belleville Senators - Rochester Americans
- Wolanin Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Americans, March 6 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Hit the Road for Three-In-Three - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 7:15 PM - Hershey Bears
- Tucson Extends Pacific Division Lead With Win In Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rocket Soar to 5-2 Win over Monsters - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utica Comets Stories
- Comets Announce Details of Training Camp
- Comets Captain Carter Bancks Announces Retirement from AHL
- Canucks & Blues to Share AHL Affiliate Utica Comets
- Comets One of 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season
- Comets Keep Turkey Delivery an Annual Tradition