Big Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings
Indianapolis, IN.- A five goal explosion in the third period helped the Fuel skate past the K-Wings 6-3 on Saturday night in Indy.
Indy struck first midway through the opening period. Entering the zone on a two-on-one Olivier Labelle collected his own rebound and tucked it through the five-hole of Jake Hildebrand, giving the home side the early lead. With the Indy lead still at one late in the period Kalamazoo tied the game up with less than a minute left. Sprinting into a pass from Aleksandr Mikulovich, Ben Wilson one-timed a pass on the Indy cage. Perched in front of the net Zach Saar collected the rebound and wrapped it past Kevin Lankinen as he fell to the ice. Saar's second tally of the season came with 0:55 left in the first, tying the game at 1-1.
The momentum from Saar's tally carried into the opening moments of the second. Tommy Mele intercepted a pass at the left point in the offensive zone and didn't waste his scoring opportunity. Mele found Chris Collins at the far post, and the rookie snapped the puck through the five-hole to give the K-Wings a one-goal lead.
Down by one the Fuel offense exploded for five goals in the first 5:14 of the third period. Indy got on the board just 0:29 into the final frame, as Josh Shalla's shot from the left circle beat Jake Hildebrand to tie the game and start the scoring avalanche for Indy. Less than a minute later Indy took the lead with a short-handed goal from Ryan Rupert. After taking the 3-2 lead Indy wouldn't look back as they added tallies from Matthew Thompson, Kevin Dufor, and another from Josh Shalla extending the lead to 6-2. Trailing by four with the man-advantage Kalamazoo got one more goal for the night as Wade Murphy netted his fourth of the season to cut the lead to 6-3 with just over five minutes left in regulation.
Jake Hildebrand finished the night making 26 saves on 32 shots in the loss. Kevin Lankinen stopped 30 of 33 shots taking his fourth victory of the season.
Kalamazoo returns to action on Tuesday as they host the Wheeling Nailers at Wings Event Center.
Kalamazoo Wings single game and half season tickets are available now! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 24, 2018
- Sholl Blanks Rush in Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
- LeBlanc Lifts Solar Bears Past Growlers in OT - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Ride Five Goal Third Period to Victory over Wings - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Pick up Point in Series Finale against Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Comeback Comes up Short in Final Seconds - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Finish off Sweep of Wichita on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Special Teams Shine as Admirals Sail Past Everblades in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Signed Earlier Saturday, Royals Goalie Niedert Stuns Thunder, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- Big Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Pull Away Late, Top Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- IceMen Bear-Y Swamp Rabbits 5-1 on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Jacksonville IceMen
- Adirondack's Pressure Not Enough in 2-1 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Suffer First Overtime Loss - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers Rally, But Fall Short against Toledo, 4-3 - Wheeling Nailers
- Teddy Bears Fly in Second, Hats in Third as Mariners Pull off Stunning Comeback - Maine Mariners
- Mariners Battle Back for 6-4 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Josh Wesley Recalled to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Closes Holiday Weekend Tonight in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - November 24 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Growlers - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Everblades at Admirals, November 24, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, November 24 - Wheeling Nailers
- Seventh Heaven: 'Blades Run Win Streak to Four with 7-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Turn into Raccoons on Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Game Day: Rematch with Adirondack in New York - Reading Royals
- Cannata Gets 3rd Straight Shutout 5-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Capsule: Allen at Utah - Allen Americans
- Americans Shutout Again by Utah - Allen Americans
- Penguins Reassign John Muse to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Rush Blast Idaho to Force Another Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.