LeBlanc Lifts Solar Bears Past Growlers in OT
ORLANDO, Fla. - Chris LeBlanc scored twice, including the game-winner, to lift the Orlando Solar Bears (9-7-2-0) to a 6-5 overtime win over the Newfoundland Growlers (14-6-1-0) on Saturday night at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center.
Giorgio Estephan opened the scoring for the Growlers with a power-play goal at the 6:11 mark of the first period.
The Solar Bears responded with two goals to take a 2-1 lead into the dressing room at the intermission, as Curt Gogol redirected Rob Mann's point shot past Michael Garteig at 16:53 for his first of the season. Gogol added another tally at 18:52 after his backhand pass deflected over the shoulder of Garteig.
Newfoundland reeled off three goals in the second period to put Orlando in a 4-2 deficit, as Brady Ferguson (4:12), Scott Pooley (9:10) and Marcus Power (10:04) managed to beat Corbin Boes.
The Solar Bears pulled back to within a goal of the Growlers when Jonne Tammela carried the puck through the slot and backhanded a shot off the pads of Garteig before Brady Shaw buried the rebound at 10:46.
Tammela netted his first of the season at 2:58 of the third frame when he brought the puck behind the Newfoundland net and wrapped the puck around the right post to tie the score at 4-4.
LeBlanc made it 5-4 with his second of the season at 3:16 when Michael Brodzinski fed LeBlanc from the Orlando goal line for a breakaway, allowing LeBlanc to speed in on Garteig before deking to his forehand and beating the goaltender.
Hudson Elynuik tied the score at 5-5 as the Growlers forward drove wide on Mann and jammed the puck past Boes at 7:21.
Regulation ended with the score tied, sending Orlando to its fifth overtime contest of the season and its first on home ice.
LeBlanc won it for the Solar Bears in the extra session during a sequence of sustained pressure in the slot, as the puck came to a standstill after glancing off of Brodzinski's skate. As multiple players swung through Garteig's field of vision, LeBlanc fired a shot inside the left post at 1:40 to give Orlando the win.
Boes picked up the win with 25 saves on 30 shots against; Garteig took the overtime loss with 32 stops on 38 shots against.
The win gave Orlando a 5-4-2-0 record for the month of November.
The Solar Bears are now tied with Idaho and Rapid City for the league lead in overtime wins with three.
Tammela led Orlando with seven shots on goal.
1) Chris LeBlanc - ORL
2) Brady Shaw - ORL
3) Curt Gogol - ORL
NEXT GAME: The Solar Bears host Alzheimer's Awareness Night, presented by Bioclinica Research and sponsored by Brown Builders Supply when they take on the Norfolk Admirals on Saturday, Dec. 1 at 7 p.m. During the game, the Solar Bears will wear specialty Alzheimer's Awareness jerseys, which will be auctioned off to help benefit the Alzheimer's and Dementia Resource Center. Tickets to this game - $5 of every ticket sold will benefit the Alzheimer's Association.
2018-19 Season Presented by XYMOPrint:
The Orlando Solar Bears are proud to have local digital printing experts XYMOPrint as the presenting sponsor of the 2018-19 season. As a special offer, fans who call XYMOPrint at (888) 223-9390 from now until June 15, 2019 and reference the Solar Bears will receive 30% off their first order of 500 business cards.
2018-19 Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale:
Single-game tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2018-19 regular season home schedule are now on sale. Fans can purchase single-game tickets for as little as $15 at the Amway Center box office, or online at Ticketmaster.com.
2018-19 Season Ticket Memberships:
Season Ticket Memberships for the seventh season of ECHL Orlando Solar Bears hockey are now on sale. Full and Half-Season memberships are both available, starting as low as $270. For more information, call (407) 951-8200 or visit orlandosolarbearshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 24, 2018
- Sholl Blanks Rush in Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
- LeBlanc Lifts Solar Bears Past Growlers in OT - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Ride Five Goal Third Period to Victory over Wings - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Pick up Point in Series Finale against Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Comeback Comes up Short in Final Seconds - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Finish off Sweep of Wichita on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Special Teams Shine as Admirals Sail Past Everblades in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Signed Earlier Saturday, Royals Goalie Niedert Stuns Thunder, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- Big Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Pull Away Late, Top Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- IceMen Bear-Y Swamp Rabbits 5-1 on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Jacksonville IceMen
- Adirondack's Pressure Not Enough in 2-1 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Suffer First Overtime Loss - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers Rally, But Fall Short against Toledo, 4-3 - Wheeling Nailers
- Teddy Bears Fly in Second, Hats in Third as Mariners Pull off Stunning Comeback - Maine Mariners
- Mariners Battle Back for 6-4 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Josh Wesley Recalled to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Closes Holiday Weekend Tonight in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - November 24 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Growlers - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Everblades at Admirals, November 24, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, November 24 - Wheeling Nailers
- Seventh Heaven: 'Blades Run Win Streak to Four with 7-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Turn into Raccoons on Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Game Day: Rematch with Adirondack in New York - Reading Royals
- Cannata Gets 3rd Straight Shutout 5-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Capsule: Allen at Utah - Allen Americans
- Americans Shutout Again by Utah - Allen Americans
- Penguins Reassign John Muse to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Rush Blast Idaho to Force Another Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Kosorenkov's Two Goals Not Enough in Loss for Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays
- Solar Bears Welcome Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic as New Rink Naming Rights Partner
- Solar Bears Sign Defenseman Michael Brodzinski
- Solar Bears to Televise Home Opener Saturday on WKMG-TV News 6