Special Teams Shine as Admirals Sail Past Everblades in Overtime
NORFOLK, VA - The Admirals tallied three power play goals and two short-handed goals as they beat the Florida Everblades 5-4 in overtime Saturday Night at Scope. Patrick D'Amico scored a power-play goal and a short-handed goal while adding an assist to lead Norfolk. Steve Lorentz and Logan Roe both had two assists for Norfolk. With the win, Norfolk improves to (10-7-0-1 21 Points) on the year.
The Admirals got on the board with their first shorthanded goal of the year from Patrick D'Amico. The Everblades turned the puck over at the Norfolk blue line which allowed a rush the other way. D'Amico skated with the puck from in his own zone through the middle of the ice and into the Florida zone where his wrist shot beat Jamie Phillips to give the Admirals the 1-0 lead at 3:28 of the first period.
Florida tied the game just seconds later with a power play goal from Tommy Thompson. Logan Roe gained control of the puck in the left circle. Roe passed it to the center of the point for Steve Lorentz. Lorentz then found Thompson who's shot from the right circle beat a screened Ty Reichenbach to tie the game at 1 with 16:02 remaining in the first period.
Norfolk went back in front with a goal from John Gustafsson. D'Amico gathered the puck along the boards in the right corner and found Avery Peterson just beyond the right circle. Peterson then found the streaking Gustafsson streaking in through the left circle, and Gustaffson's shot beat Phillips on the glove side to give Norfolk a 2-1 lead at 14:19 of the first period.
The Everblades tied the game with a goal from Jordan Southorn. Steve Lorentz passed the puck to Southorn skating into the Norfolk zone. Southorn's shot from the left circle took a deflection off a Norfolk stick and trickled into the net beating Reichenbach over the right shoulder to even the score at two at 5:42 of the second period.
The Admirals would go back in front with another shorthanded goal. Florida had possession of the puck at the Norfolk blue line and turned it over. A diving poke check from Jake Wood sprung Alberga in on a breakaway. Alberga went backhand, then forehand and beat Phillips on the stick side to give Norfolk a 3-2 lead at 12:12 of the second period. With his goal in the second period, Alberga extended his points streak to five games.
Florida answered once again with a goal from Kyle Platzer. Joe Cox gathered the puck behind the Norfolk net. A Norfolk defender fell which allowed Platzer to get open, and his shot beat Reichenbach over the glove to tie the game at three goals.
Norfolk once again went back in front with a power-play goal from Patrick D'Amico. Jalen Smereck passed D'Amico the puck and started the breakout of the Norfolk zone, after Ty Reichenbach made a save in the Norfolk end. D'Amico skated into the Florida end and unloaded a slap-shot that beat Jamie Phillips on the glove side at 7:19 of the third period.
Florida evened the score with a goal from Shane Walsh. Ben Masella found Logan Roe on an outlet pass skating into the Norfolk zone. Roe found Walsh in the slot and Walsh's shot beat Reichenbach on the stick side at 10:34 of the third period.
The game would eventually head to overtime tied at four.
The Admirals sealed the game with a power play goal from Taylor Cammarata in overtime. Jalen Smereck passed the puck down to Connor Hurley in the right circle. Hurley then fed a backdoor pass across the crease to Cammarata who was there to redirect the pass past Phillips to give Norfolk the 5-4 win.
Ty Reichenbach made 21 saves on 25 shots and wins his seventh game of the year, while Jaime Phillips made 27 saves on 32 shots and takes the setback for Florida.
1 Patrick D'Amico - INOR)- 3 pts (2g, 1a)
2 Dominic Alberga (NOR)- 1 goal
3 Taylor Cammarata (NOR) - GWG in OT
The Admirals will hit the road for a three-game road set next week that begins with a 10:30 a.m. game at Greenville. Fans catch the game broadcast on Mixlr or watch the game on ECHL.TV
Upcoming Home Games & Promotions
Wednesday, December 5 vs. Manchester Monarchs, 7:00 p.m.
Friday, December 7 vs. Manchester Monarchs, 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, December 8 vs. Manchester Monarchs, 7:00 p.m. Teddy Bear Toss game, featuring a postgame skate and performances by the Fur Circus mascots! Fans are encouraged to bring a new teddy bear or stuffed animal to the game to throw out onto the ice when the Admirals score their first goal. The teddy bears will be rounded up and distributed to children's charities for the holidays! The night is also Jewish Heritage Night.
Admirals Ticket Information
Single Game Tickets may be purchased at the Scope Box Office, or online at Ticketmaster.com
Discounted Group Tickets: Bring your group of 10 or more to a game at a discounted price! Group tickets are available for all home games. Fundraising opportunities are also available.
2018-19 Ticket Packages are Currently on Sale! The Admirals offer full season and flexible partial plans that will best fit your schedule and budget! To view pricing and benefits of all available ticket packages CLICK HERE
For more information regarding ticket options, or Norfolk Admirals Hockey, visit NorfolkAdmirals.com or call the Admirals office at (757) 640-1212!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 24, 2018
- Sholl Blanks Rush in Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
- LeBlanc Lifts Solar Bears Past Growlers in OT - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Ride Five Goal Third Period to Victory over Wings - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Pick up Point in Series Finale against Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Comeback Comes up Short in Final Seconds - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Finish off Sweep of Wichita on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Special Teams Shine as Admirals Sail Past Everblades in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Signed Earlier Saturday, Royals Goalie Niedert Stuns Thunder, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- Big Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Pull Away Late, Top Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- IceMen Bear-Y Swamp Rabbits 5-1 on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Jacksonville IceMen
- Adirondack's Pressure Not Enough in 2-1 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Suffer First Overtime Loss - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers Rally, But Fall Short against Toledo, 4-3 - Wheeling Nailers
- Teddy Bears Fly in Second, Hats in Third as Mariners Pull off Stunning Comeback - Maine Mariners
- Mariners Battle Back for 6-4 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Josh Wesley Recalled to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Closes Holiday Weekend Tonight in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - November 24 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Growlers - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Everblades at Admirals, November 24, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, November 24 - Wheeling Nailers
- Seventh Heaven: 'Blades Run Win Streak to Four with 7-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Turn into Raccoons on Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Game Day: Rematch with Adirondack in New York - Reading Royals
- Cannata Gets 3rd Straight Shutout 5-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Capsule: Allen at Utah - Allen Americans
- Americans Shutout Again by Utah - Allen Americans
- Penguins Reassign John Muse to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Rush Blast Idaho to Force Another Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Greenville Slides Past Norfolk Behind Bajkov's Overtime Goal
- Admirals Acquire Defenseman Samuel Thibault from Indy
- Season Long Promotions Set
- Three First Period Goals Lead Wichita Past Norfolk in Afternoon Matchup
- Losing Streak for Admirals Now at Four After 3-2 Loss in Reading