Oilers Finish off Sweep of Wichita on Teddy Bear Toss Night
TULSA, OK - A tiebreaking goal from rookie defenseman Dylan Bredo in the final five minutes of regulation led the Tulsa Oilers (10-2-4) to a 5-3 win over the Wichita Thunder (5-8-4) Saturday on Teddy Bear Toss Night at the BOK Center.
Wichita scored its ninth power play goal in the last eight games 1:43 into Saturday's game, as Pierre-Cedric Labrie tipped a point shot past Oilers goaltender Evan Fitzpatrick. Tulsa captain Adam Pleskach fired a wrist shot from high in the slot just 26 seconds later to tie the game 1-1, sending the Teddy Bears flying. The Thunder jumped back in front when Mark MacMillan lifted a backhander into the top of the net from the edge of the crease with 5:52 left in the frame.
Tulsa tied the game 2:49 into the second period when Tyler Soy found Ryan Tesink all alone in the right circle, and Tesink fired a one-timer into the net for a power play goal. Jared Thomas then gave the Oilers a brief lead when he scored on a short-handed breakaway to make it 3-2. The Thunder had an answer this time 1:16 later when Dyson Stevenson jammed home a loose puck for Wichita's second power play goal.
The Oilers moved back in front in the final five minutes, when Bredo blasted a one-timer from high in the slot. Soy added an empty net goal in the final seconds to seal the 5-3 win. Fitzpatrick advanced his record to 6-0-2 to start his pro career.
Tulsa hosts the Kansas City Mavericks at 4:05pm Sunday to finish off the four-game holiday week. The game will be immediately followed by the Oilers' annual Paint the Ice event. The Oilers will play on the painted ice Tuesday, November 27 against the Allen Americans.
Season and Group Tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 24, 2018
- Sholl Blanks Rush in Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
- LeBlanc Lifts Solar Bears Past Growlers in OT - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Ride Five Goal Third Period to Victory over Wings - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Pick up Point in Series Finale against Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Comeback Comes up Short in Final Seconds - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Finish off Sweep of Wichita on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Special Teams Shine as Admirals Sail Past Everblades in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Signed Earlier Saturday, Royals Goalie Niedert Stuns Thunder, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- Big Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Pull Away Late, Top Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- IceMen Bear-Y Swamp Rabbits 5-1 on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Jacksonville IceMen
- Adirondack's Pressure Not Enough in 2-1 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Suffer First Overtime Loss - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers Rally, But Fall Short against Toledo, 4-3 - Wheeling Nailers
- Teddy Bears Fly in Second, Hats in Third as Mariners Pull off Stunning Comeback - Maine Mariners
- Mariners Battle Back for 6-4 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Josh Wesley Recalled to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Closes Holiday Weekend Tonight in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - November 24 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Growlers - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Everblades at Admirals, November 24, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, November 24 - Wheeling Nailers
- Seventh Heaven: 'Blades Run Win Streak to Four with 7-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Turn into Raccoons on Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Game Day: Rematch with Adirondack in New York - Reading Royals
- Cannata Gets 3rd Straight Shutout 5-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Capsule: Allen at Utah - Allen Americans
- Americans Shutout Again by Utah - Allen Americans
- Penguins Reassign John Muse to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Rush Blast Idaho to Force Another Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.