Signed Earlier Saturday, Royals Goalie Niedert Stuns Thunder, 2-1
Glens Falls, NY - Reading Royals netminder Nick Niedert made an ECHL-high 38 saves to shock the Adirondack Thunder, 2-1, Saturday at Cool Insuring Arena. Niedert, playing his first ECHL game in 1,032 days, earned his second-ever victory with Reading. Niedert was signed to an ECHL contract Saturday due to goaltender injuries and call-ups.
He blocked a combined 29 shots in the second and third period, allowing the Thunder's only goal to Blake Thompson in the first period. The Royals tied it before the end of the first and took the lead at 2:15 of the third on a five-hole wrist shot from Jack Riley at the bottom of the left circle.
The win snapped a nine-game Royals losing streak vs. Adirondack.
Cam Johnson blocked 32 shots in defeat.
The Royals are on the road for their next game, opposing the Maine Mariners at 7:00 p.m. Wed., Nov. 28 at Cross Insurance Arena. Reading's next home game is Fri., Nov. 30 vs. Kalamazoo at 7:00 p.m., featuring a PA Lottery Voucher giveaway to fans 18 and older.
The Thunder scored the game's first goal at 9:37 of the first on a left-point shot through traffic by Thompson.
Reading tied the game, 1-1, with a power-play goal from Swavely at 17:55 of the first. Steve Johnson cannoned a left-circle slap shot off Cam Johnson, with the rebound skittering conveniently at the top of the crease. Swavely gathered and calmly shifted it to set up a tap home at the right post. Reading's man up has converted in three straight contests.
Niedert starred on the penalty kill in the second period, helping Reading fend off three Thunder chances. Adirondack was 0-for-5 on the man up.
In the third, Reading rode Niedert (15 saves) and received the game-winning strike by Riley. After Adam Marsh batted the puck to Riley, he twisted it on cage from the left circle and in with just more than two minutes elapsed in the third.
Santa Sacks and Stocking Stuffers: Get ticket vouchers, autographed mini-sticks, pucks and player pictures
Black Friday vs. Adirondack: Fri.,Nov. 23 at 7:00 p.m.
PA Lottery Voucher Giveaway vs. Kalamazoo: Fri., Nov. 30 at 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 24, 2018
- Sholl Blanks Rush in Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
- LeBlanc Lifts Solar Bears Past Growlers in OT - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Ride Five Goal Third Period to Victory over Wings - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Pick up Point in Series Finale against Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Comeback Comes up Short in Final Seconds - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Finish off Sweep of Wichita on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Special Teams Shine as Admirals Sail Past Everblades in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Signed Earlier Saturday, Royals Goalie Niedert Stuns Thunder, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- Big Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Pull Away Late, Top Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- IceMen Bear-Y Swamp Rabbits 5-1 on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Jacksonville IceMen
- Adirondack's Pressure Not Enough in 2-1 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Suffer First Overtime Loss - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers Rally, But Fall Short against Toledo, 4-3 - Wheeling Nailers
- Teddy Bears Fly in Second, Hats in Third as Mariners Pull off Stunning Comeback - Maine Mariners
- Mariners Battle Back for 6-4 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Josh Wesley Recalled to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Closes Holiday Weekend Tonight in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - November 24 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Growlers - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Everblades at Admirals, November 24, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, November 24 - Wheeling Nailers
- Seventh Heaven: 'Blades Run Win Streak to Four with 7-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Turn into Raccoons on Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Game Day: Rematch with Adirondack in New York - Reading Royals
- Cannata Gets 3rd Straight Shutout 5-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Capsule: Allen at Utah - Allen Americans
- Americans Shutout Again by Utah - Allen Americans
- Penguins Reassign John Muse to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Rush Blast Idaho to Force Another Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- ECHL's North Division Enacts COVID Voluntary Suspension and Plans 2021-22 Return
- Royals Make Important Signing in Talented, Two-Way Forward Scarfo
- Suter Agrees to ECHL Deal, Royals Forward Group Coming into Focus
- ECHL Confirms Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Reading Puts Final Touches on Deal with G Ruck