Mariners Battle Back for 6-4 Victory
PORTLAND, M.E. - The Manchester Monarchs fell to the Maine Mariners, Saturday night, by a score of 6-4, at the Cross Insurance Arena.
The Monarchs (8-7-1-1) gave up five third-period goals to the Mariners (8-6-0-1), and had their four-game winning streak snapped.
The Monarchs opened the scoring at 4:21 of the first period on the fourth goal of the season by Zeb Knutson. Nic Pierog got to the puck first in the offensive zone and pushed the puck free to Knutson in the slot, who had just stepped out of the penalty box. Knutson sent a shot past the glove of Mariners goaltender, Brandon Halverson, to make the score, 1-0.
The Mariners battled back and tied the game at 10:54 of the second period on the second goal of the season by Riley Bourbonnais. Bourbonnais skated into the offensive zone on a two-on-one and wristed a shot past the glove of Monarchs goaltender, Cole Kehler, to make the score, 1-1.
The Monarchs regained the lead at 13:13 of the second period on the first goal of the season by David Kolomatis. Kolomatis kept the puck in at the right point and sent a shot towards goal, through traffic, that found its way through the legs of Halverson, giving the Monarchs a 2-1 lead.
Manchester added to their lead at 17:55 of the second period on the second goal of the game and fifth goal of the season by Knutson. Knutson snapped a shot through the five-hole of Halverson on an odd-man rush, to extend the Monarchs lead to 3-1.
Manchester made it a three-goal game at 3:52 of the third period on the first goal of the season by Michael Doherty. Halverson lost the puck between his skates on a clearing attempt, when Doherty crashed the net and pushed the puck over the goal line, to make the score, 4-1.
The Mariners responded at 6:39 of the third period on the third goal of the season by Michael McNicholas. Ty Ronning sent a pass to McNicholas at the bottom of the right circle, where he one-timed a shot past Kehler, to make the score, 4-2.
Maine made it a one-goal game at 8:07 of the third period on the first goal of the season by Ty Ronning. Brycen Martin took a shot from the right point, where Ronning tipped it in front of the net, past Kehler, to make the score, 4-3.
The Mariners tied the game at 12:14 of the third period on the second goal of the game and the season by Ronning. After ringing the cross-bar and nearly tying the game moments before, Ronning took a shot from the top of the left circle, that deflected off the glove of Kehler and into the net, tying the game, 4-4.
The Mariners took the lead for the first time in the game at 15:58 of the third period on the first goal of the season by Vince Pedrie. McNicholas dropped a pass at the blue line on the rush, where Pedrie wristed a shot from the tops of the circles and snuck the puck past the arm of Kehler, to make the score, 5-4.
Ronning finished off the game with an empty-net goal, completing the hat trick, at 19:14 of the third period, to end the game, 6-4.
The Monarchs return to action Friday, November 30 at 7 p.m., when they take on the Adirondack Thunder at SNHU Arena for the Stuff-A-Cruiser, Toys-For-Tots game, presented by Josh's Toys and Games and the New Hampshire State Police. For tickets, Season Memberships and group tickets, please contact the Monarchs front office at 603-626-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 24, 2018
- Sholl Blanks Rush in Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
- LeBlanc Lifts Solar Bears Past Growlers in OT - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Ride Five Goal Third Period to Victory over Wings - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Pick up Point in Series Finale against Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Comeback Comes up Short in Final Seconds - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Finish off Sweep of Wichita on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Special Teams Shine as Admirals Sail Past Everblades in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Signed Earlier Saturday, Royals Goalie Niedert Stuns Thunder, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- Big Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Pull Away Late, Top Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- IceMen Bear-Y Swamp Rabbits 5-1 on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Jacksonville IceMen
- Adirondack's Pressure Not Enough in 2-1 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Suffer First Overtime Loss - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers Rally, But Fall Short against Toledo, 4-3 - Wheeling Nailers
- Teddy Bears Fly in Second, Hats in Third as Mariners Pull off Stunning Comeback - Maine Mariners
- Mariners Battle Back for 6-4 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Josh Wesley Recalled to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Closes Holiday Weekend Tonight in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - November 24 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Growlers - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Everblades at Admirals, November 24, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, November 24 - Wheeling Nailers
- Seventh Heaven: 'Blades Run Win Streak to Four with 7-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Turn into Raccoons on Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Game Day: Rematch with Adirondack in New York - Reading Royals
- Cannata Gets 3rd Straight Shutout 5-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Capsule: Allen at Utah - Allen Americans
- Americans Shutout Again by Utah - Allen Americans
- Penguins Reassign John Muse to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Rush Blast Idaho to Force Another Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Manchester Monarchs Stories
- Growlers Snap Five-Game Losing Streak with 5-1 Win over Monarchs
- Manchester Monarchs Care Foundation Donates $7,500 to Elliot Hospital
- Monarchs Rack up Seven Goals on Railers in 7-4 Win
- Railers Gain Two Points on the Monarchs in 5-2 Victory
- Monarchs Care Foundation Donates $5,000 to CMC Breast Care Center