Adirondack's Pressure Not Enough in 2-1 Loss to Reading
GLENS FALLS, NY - Blake Thompson scored his first goal of the season and Cam Johnson turned away 32 of 34 shots, but the Thunder could not solve Nick Niedert in a 2-1 loss Saturday night at Cool Insuring Arena.
Thompson scored the game's opening goal just before the halfway mark of the opening period. After Cullen Bradshaw won an offensive zone draw, Thompson collected the puck and fluttered a shot from the left point that Niedert couldn't see with three Royals in front of him. It was Thompson's first ECHL goal away from SNHU Arena in Manchester to put Adirondack up 1-0.
That was all the offense the Thunder would muster.
Steven Swavely tied the game before the end of the initial frame with a power-play goal, his ninth score of the season. Reading won an offensive zone faceoff and Steve Johnson took a shot off the draw. Adirondack's Cam Johnson made the first save, but Swavely was sitting on the doorstep to knock in the rebound for a 1-1 tie.
The game's only other goal came 2:16 into the third period when Jack Riley netted his fourth off a weird scramble in front. Reading's Adam Marsh chopped at the puck along the blueline, skying it in the air. While everyone was searching for the loose puck, it ended up on Riley's stick and he spun and fired from the left circle for a 2-1 lead that would hold the rest of the game.
Niedert was the story of the game tonight as the EBUG made 38 saves in his first ECHL action since 2016. The 36-year-old started just two games last year with the Federal Hockey League's Carolina Thunderbirds.
Johnson was every bit his equal in net, making some tremendous saves including taking away a sure goal from Reading just after Riley had scored.
Adirondack is off this week but returns to action for two games next weekend. The Thunder head to Manchester, NH to take on the Monarchs Friday night and are back at Cool Insuring Arena next Saturday for a rematch with the Royals. For the latest Thunder news, be sure to follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@ECHLThunder).
Images from this story
Adirondack Thunder forward James Henry in front of the Reading Royals net
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 24, 2018
- Sholl Blanks Rush in Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
- LeBlanc Lifts Solar Bears Past Growlers in OT - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Ride Five Goal Third Period to Victory over Wings - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Pick up Point in Series Finale against Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Comeback Comes up Short in Final Seconds - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Finish off Sweep of Wichita on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Special Teams Shine as Admirals Sail Past Everblades in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Signed Earlier Saturday, Royals Goalie Niedert Stuns Thunder, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- Big Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Pull Away Late, Top Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- IceMen Bear-Y Swamp Rabbits 5-1 on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Jacksonville IceMen
- Adirondack's Pressure Not Enough in 2-1 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Suffer First Overtime Loss - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers Rally, But Fall Short against Toledo, 4-3 - Wheeling Nailers
- Teddy Bears Fly in Second, Hats in Third as Mariners Pull off Stunning Comeback - Maine Mariners
- Mariners Battle Back for 6-4 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Josh Wesley Recalled to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Closes Holiday Weekend Tonight in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - November 24 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Growlers - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Everblades at Admirals, November 24, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, November 24 - Wheeling Nailers
- Seventh Heaven: 'Blades Run Win Streak to Four with 7-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Turn into Raccoons on Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Game Day: Rematch with Adirondack in New York - Reading Royals
- Cannata Gets 3rd Straight Shutout 5-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Capsule: Allen at Utah - Allen Americans
- Americans Shutout Again by Utah - Allen Americans
- Penguins Reassign John Muse to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Rush Blast Idaho to Force Another Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Thunder Use Four Third-Period Goals to Crown Royals 6-3
- Riley Tells Growlers to Sit, Stay in 6-4 Thunder Win
- Thunder Send Growlers to Doghouse in 4-1 Win
- Cool Insuring Arena Announces Naming Rights Extension
- Colton White Fifth Adirondack Thunder Alum to Make NHL Debut