IceMen Pull Away Late, Top Swamp Rabbits
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Jacksonville Icemen built a 2-0 lead, and pulled away in the third period en route to a 5-1 victory over the Greenville Swamp Rabbits on Saturday night at the Veterans Memorial Arena.
Kris Newbury's breakaway goal early in the third period proved decisive as Maxime Fortier's pass sprung him, and his deke to the backhand found a way through a sprawled Chris Nell to extend Jacksonville's one goal lead to two at 3-1.
They would further ice the game with an empty net goal from Fortier, and while on a penalty kill, a puck that had touched goaltender Mikhail Berdin found a way back into the Greenville net, and counted for the 14th goal in ECHL history credited to a goaltender.
The Swamp Rabbits, down 2-0 in the second period, battled back to cut the lead to one. On a giveaway by the Icemen behind their net on the power play, Jordan Sims feathered a pass to Stephen Pierog cutting towards the net, and his chip shot beat Berdin at the 10:28 mark of the second period for his fourth of the season. Prior to that, the momentum belonged to Jacksonville, who had back-to-back 5-on-3 power play opportunities, but could not score.
Sam Vigneault got the scoring started and started the cascade of stuffed animals from the stands on a teddy bear toss night with a deflection on a feed from Newbury halfway through the first period. Garret Cockerill extended the lead for Jacksonville at 4-on-4, as, off of a clean faceoff win, he dragged the puck down the left wing and beat Nell short side.
Greenville's penalty kill continued their improvement, having killed off 5 of 6 opportunities on the night, allowing just the power play goal by Vigneault in the first period. The Swamp Rabbits picked up three out of a possible six points on the three-game road swing.
The Swamp Rabbits return home on Wednesday, November 28 against the Norfolk Admirals at 10:30 a.m. If you cannot make it to the game, catch all of the action on ESPN Upstate.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 24, 2018
- Sholl Blanks Rush in Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
- LeBlanc Lifts Solar Bears Past Growlers in OT - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Ride Five Goal Third Period to Victory over Wings - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Pick up Point in Series Finale against Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Comeback Comes up Short in Final Seconds - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Finish off Sweep of Wichita on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Special Teams Shine as Admirals Sail Past Everblades in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Signed Earlier Saturday, Royals Goalie Niedert Stuns Thunder, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- Big Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Pull Away Late, Top Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- IceMen Bear-Y Swamp Rabbits 5-1 on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Jacksonville IceMen
- Adirondack's Pressure Not Enough in 2-1 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Suffer First Overtime Loss - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers Rally, But Fall Short against Toledo, 4-3 - Wheeling Nailers
- Teddy Bears Fly in Second, Hats in Third as Mariners Pull off Stunning Comeback - Maine Mariners
- Mariners Battle Back for 6-4 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Josh Wesley Recalled to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Closes Holiday Weekend Tonight in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - November 24 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Growlers - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Everblades at Admirals, November 24, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, November 24 - Wheeling Nailers
- Seventh Heaven: 'Blades Run Win Streak to Four with 7-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Turn into Raccoons on Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Game Day: Rematch with Adirondack in New York - Reading Royals
- Cannata Gets 3rd Straight Shutout 5-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Capsule: Allen at Utah - Allen Americans
- Americans Shutout Again by Utah - Allen Americans
- Penguins Reassign John Muse to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Rush Blast Idaho to Force Another Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.