Growlers Suffer First Overtime Loss
Eleven goals were scored Saturday night in Orlando, but the Growlers came out on the losing side in overtime, 6-5.
Giorgio Estephan opened the scoring with his 12th of the season at the 6:11 mark of the first period. Orlando would gain the moment right back with two quick goals from Curt Gogol. The Solar Bears would take the 2-1 lead into the 1st intermission.
In the second, the tide would turn in the Growlers favour as they would go on to score 3 straight goals from Scott Pooley, Marcus Power and Brady Ferguson. Orlando's Brady Shaw would beat Michael Garteig late in the second to put the Solar Bears within 1 goal going into the 2nd intermission.
At the 2:58 mark of the third Joanne Tammela would tie the game for the Solar Bears with Chris LeBlanc giving them the go-ahead goal on a breakaway just 19 seconds later.
Growlers forward Huson Elynuik would get a breakaway goal of his own to force overtime but Chris Leblanc would go on to win the game for Orlando, in overtime, with his second goal of the game.
The loss marks the first ever overtime loss for the Growlers
Estephan now leads the Growlers in goals scored with 12
The three stars were 3 - C. LeBlanc (ORL), 2 - B. Shaw (ORL) and 1 - C. Gogol (ORL)
The Newfoundland Growlers return to Mile One Centre to kick off a six-game homestand starting December 1st versus the Brampton Beast. Tickets can be purchased at mileonecentre.com or by calling the box office at 709-576-7657.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 24, 2018
- Sholl Blanks Rush in Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
- LeBlanc Lifts Solar Bears Past Growlers in OT - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Ride Five Goal Third Period to Victory over Wings - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Pick up Point in Series Finale against Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Comeback Comes up Short in Final Seconds - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Finish off Sweep of Wichita on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Special Teams Shine as Admirals Sail Past Everblades in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Signed Earlier Saturday, Royals Goalie Niedert Stuns Thunder, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- Big Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Pull Away Late, Top Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- IceMen Bear-Y Swamp Rabbits 5-1 on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Jacksonville IceMen
- Adirondack's Pressure Not Enough in 2-1 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Suffer First Overtime Loss - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers Rally, But Fall Short against Toledo, 4-3 - Wheeling Nailers
- Teddy Bears Fly in Second, Hats in Third as Mariners Pull off Stunning Comeback - Maine Mariners
- Mariners Battle Back for 6-4 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Josh Wesley Recalled to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Closes Holiday Weekend Tonight in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - November 24 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Growlers - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Everblades at Admirals, November 24, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, November 24 - Wheeling Nailers
- Seventh Heaven: 'Blades Run Win Streak to Four with 7-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Turn into Raccoons on Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Game Day: Rematch with Adirondack in New York - Reading Royals
- Cannata Gets 3rd Straight Shutout 5-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Capsule: Allen at Utah - Allen Americans
- Americans Shutout Again by Utah - Allen Americans
- Penguins Reassign John Muse to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Rush Blast Idaho to Force Another Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.