Berdin and Moose Take down Stars
The Manitoba Moose (7-8-0-0) claimed a 2-1 victory over the Texas Stars (3-10-0-2) on Wednesday night at Bell MTS Place.
The Stars had two power play opportunities early in the first period however Manitoba's dominant penalty kill stayed strong and they kept Texas off the board. With only 22 seconds remaining in the first period, Kristian Vesalainen capitalized on Manitoba's man advantage scoring his second goal of the season assisted by Sami Niku and Jansen Harkins.
Midway through the second period, Brad McClure scored for the Stars with the assists credited to Adam Mascherin and Gavin Bayreuther tying the game 1-1. Just under two minutes later, Emile Poirier buried a feed from Cole Maier making the score 2-1. Texas outshot the Moose in the second period however Mikhail Berdin made 14 saves and was able to hold on to Manitoba's lead.
To start the third period, the Moose killed off their fourth penalty of the night to push their streak to 21 straight kills. The Stars found an opportunity to gain an equalizer in the third period as Parker MacKay intercepted a breakout pass and was left alone for the breakaway. McKay, however, was denied by Berdin with the final score staying 2-1 in Manitoba's victory.
Jansen Harkins (3G, 11A) and Sami Niku (3G, 6A) extend their point streak to seven-games
Jansen Harkins is currently tied for third in the AHL among assist leaders (12) and point leaders (17)
Sami Niku is tied for second ranking amongst point leaders (11) among defenceman in the AHL
The Moose have killed off 21 straight power play opportunities
Mikhail Berdin has stopped 135 of his last 137 shots What's Next?
The Moose take on the San Antonio Rampage on Friday, Nov. 15. The first 3,000 fans to arrive at Friday's game will receive a commemorative 20th season Moose hat. Tickets are available at moosehockey.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 14, 2019
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Markus Hannikainen from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Barracuda to Celebrate the City They Call Home on Sunday for "408 Night" - San Jose Barracuda
- Bears Set to Host Hockey Fights Cancer Night Saturday - Hershey Bears
- Warm up with the IceHogs During Stroll on State - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Sign Blake Hillman to Professional Tryout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Recall Forward Derek Barach from ECHL's Jacksonville IceMen - Cleveland Monsters
- Joe Hicketts Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Center Rhett Gardner Recalled by Dallas Stars - Texas Stars
- T-Birds Visit Penguins & Devils in 2-Game Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Ontario Reign Recall Forward Mason Bergh - Ontario Reign
- Beaudin and Davidsson Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Barracuda Allow Five in the Third, Fall 9-3 at San Diego - San Jose Barracuda
- Carrick Scores Hat Trick, Gulls Crush San Jose, 9-3 - San Diego Gulls
- Berdin and Moose Take down Stars - Manitoba Moose
- Hudon Records Hat Trick But Rocket Fall 5-4 in OT to the Belleville Senators - Laval Rocket
- Admirals Overpower Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.